Mt Washington via Tuckerman Ravine and Lion Head (winter route) Trails - 4/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: April 12, 2014

Trail Conditions: The Tuckerman Ravine Trail's lower half was a mix of conditions from soft to hard to icy on the ascent. The Cat came up later so when we left it was soft and unconsolidated. The Fire Road was in decent shape, albeit a little soft. The Lion Head Trail was soft yet icy in places on the steeps. The Hillary Step was mostly rock with an apron of soft snow. Above the steeps and above treeline the surface on trail was mostly hard and off trail my weight was mostly supported. This was great; thus we decided to ascend the cone via the SE snowfields to escape the crowds and create a better alpine experience for our clients. The volume of snow allowed us to do this without impacting the vegetation. It would have been nice if others were as considerate when we later saw people tramping through exposed plants on the Alpine Garden.

Special Equipment Used: We brought trekking poles, ice axes, crampons, and rope.

Comments: Hiked this one as lead for my work. It was a great day, albeit really windy -- though not bad enough to keep us away. All in my group summited and we had a fun time. That said, there have been better days: there were a lot of inexperienced people doing dumb stuff on the mountain today -- ranging from scary to stupid. Made me double take a lot and wince at some things.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
North Conway NH