Camera Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I know that many of you out there are accomplished photographers (whether you give yourself credit or not).

My friend SteveR takes some beautiful shot with his Nikon, but I also know it is out of my price range.

So what makes and models are people finding take quality pictures and won't break the bank. I wouldn't want to pay much more than $200 and being able to take videos would be a priority. W would also like a camera that can capture landscapes relatively well while getting good shots of my soon-to-be little hiker's face.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Z :D

We used to use Cannon point and shoots but switched to the Panasonic Lumix ZS20 and love it! Great photos - 24mm Ultra Wide Angle Lens with 20x Optical Zoom - takes great videos. Only $180 on Amazon. Used it for the past 2 Winters and no freeze or battery problems.

$200 pretty much limits you to a P&S (point and shoot). I've been happy the the several Canon P&Ses that I have owned. The Canon S110 is pretty highly thought of and can be had for $200. (The successor S120 came out recently which has depressed the price of the S110 thus giving you more camera for the money.)

* In general, many (most?) P&Ses from the major brands can produce good enough images for most users.
* Anything over 10-12MP gives diminishing returns in a P&S.
* P&Ses generally have poorer low light capability than DSLRs.
* 24-28mm minimum (35mm equivalent) focal lengths are good for large scenes.
* 5:1 or so zoom is enough for most users. (Larger ranges may reduce the image quality.)
* most P&Ses have a movie mode
* Cellphone cameras are good enough of some users...

** In general, the person behind the camera is more important than the camera. A simple camera with a skilled user can produce good images, an unskilled user is likely to produce poorer quality images even with an expensive fancy camera.

Canon reviews, with approximate prices, can be found at http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM?view=Canon_reviews and reviews for a number of manufacturers can be found at http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM. B&H, Adorama, and Amazon are generally good places to buy cameras.

Doug

Thank you both for the suggestions. How much more would I have to spend to get into some of the lower tier DSLRs. I can do a little homework myself, of course, but I am sure that you (Doug) already have some products in mind.

Thank you again,

I am also currently researching for a camera to replace a very old worn out Canon P&S. The choices can get complicated.

I have learned that there are categories "in between" basic P&S (~$200-$300) and DSLR:

So called "enthusiast compacts" are technically P&S (fixed lenses that cannot be interchanged), but have better lenses and more features, and run in the $300-$700 range (overlapping DSLR prices). An example of this category is the Sony Cybershot RX100 II (~ $700).

"Mirrorless" cameras http://www.imaging-resource.com/mirrorless-cameras often have interchangeable lenses like a DSLR, but do not have an internal mirror, and therefore the camera body is more "compact" sized.

So there is quite a complicated array of choices. But if you pick your price range, and read some reviews, and also go to a store and handle some cameras, you should be able to make a good choice. (Of course, if you are set on buying on line, let the store know that so the sales folks don't use more of their time than they want to.) Any of the major manufacturers like Canon, Panasonic, Sony, Nikon, Olympus, etc. make good devices.

I've used various Nikon point and shoot models with pretty good luck.

I had a CoolPix 9100 that was tremendous but I ran into a problem with lens not retracting and camera freezing (as in not operating, not literally iced). Use my cameras year round and as long as you keep in a case in a jacket pocket they hold up fine. I used the 9100 on Cannon once at -12 deg F and it was fine all day despite the 14 deg F limitation in the documentation. I was going to get repaired but when I was at Best Buy inquiring about the problem I realized camera prices have come down quite a bit.

So instead I upgraded to the tough duty AW120 (which at Christmas I found for $269 but I see now that it is back to $349). I like the rough duty models for hiking although one drawback is that the zoom is only 5x I guess because of how the rough duty case is constructed the lens can't get outside the frame or something. My 9100 I think had a 30x zoom.

$200 or less for a budget might be pushing it a bit if you want truly high quality photos and options but as previously mentioned most companies cameras are pretty decent nowadays. Experiment with it when you get it and you'll know what types of pictures present limitations to your model. Even my cell phone has taken some pretty good photos when I've had camera problems. When I researched DSLR cameras before my first purchase most favorably reviewed models were well over $500 and it was quite easy to go over $1000. If you're really looking to get into photography maybe someone on the forum can recommend a good source for used equipment.

I went as cheap as possible for a slr camera (I think) and they take great pictures imo. It's a Sony alpha. The standard lens that came with it is so so, and much of the camera and lenses are plastic body. It takes 14 mp pictures.

Honestly minus a few things, I think a point and shoot will fit the bill better imo. It's a pain to carry the slr. Unless you are going to do some incredible photography classes, it may not be worth it. My camera was somewhere in the $600 range from what I remember, and lenses can break you in no time.

I'm getting decent pictures from my Samsung galaxy, with post processing. Not great but decent. I'll post some comparable shots later when I get on my home computer.

More great advice.

Thank you all. Our current p&s is a Olmypus Fe, which is a POS ;)

I am guessing that today's higher end point and shoot cameras have better resolution and settings that do a decent job capturing the images they are specified for. Our current camera was a clearance deal but takes a decent picture in full light (our shots form the Keys were amazing) at lower light levels the camera takes a very grainy image.

Thank you all again,

Has anyone out there tried Canon Black PowerShot SX-170 IS 16MP 16x Optical Zoom Camera?

It looks like a pretty good deal and the reviews describe it as covering a wide range of applications. Just curious if anyone has tried this in the field and has an opinion on it.

Thanks again to all those who have offered up suggestions. I almost pulled the trigger on Bob and Geri's top pic but I thought I would give it one more day.

I would suggest looking for something used. Every 6 months or so the new ones come out, so last year's models wind up on eBay or Craigslist. Both Canon and Nikon make good entry level DSLRs and if you don't need or want the latest stuff like wifi and all that, then I think there are bargains out there. A friend of mine has one of the mirrorless Olympus cameras with the electronic viewfinder which is pretty nice. It has interchangeable lenses, but is still pretty light. I had a little Canon, but it died a while back and I haven't gotten around to replacing it. I don't like the cameras without a viewfinder and unfortunately, the small ones rarely have one. I find using the screen as a finder, like with a cel phone, to be almost impossible in bright light.

I have been very happy with my SX-130, which is essentially the same camera except it has 12.1MP and 12x optical. It's only drawback for me besides the lack of an optical viewfinder is that it is borderline on size for being a pocket camera. I usually carry it in a fanny pack. Another disadvantage of the SX-170 is that it uses a proprietary battery, the SX-160 and earlier use AA's. I bought my used SX-130 on ebay for $50, and here is a used SX-160 from B&H Camera for $99.

I have the successor(?) to BobandGeri's, the ZS30. Similar specs (20x optical, 24mm wide-angle, etc). Picked it up last summer before a hiking trip to CA, and I've been pretty happy with it. It also has potential well beyond my knowledge of how to use (about allo I can manage at this point is "program auto mode" and push the big button, plus the occasional "shutter priority mode" to shoot waterfalls). It replaced an older shockproof/waterproof/"freezeproof" Olympus that frequently failed to operate below +5F. The ZS30 worked great all this winter, even the day on the Carters where it never topped -10F on the ridge. The thing devours the battery if you take video (it does take great video), but lasts forever if you are only taking pictures. I do have a 3rd-party battery for it that I bought online, and it has a lot more capacity than the Panasonic one, so I never fear running out of juice if I want to shoot some video.

Last edited:
Has anyone out there tried Canon Black PowerShot SX-170 IS 16MP 16x Optical Zoom Camera?

It looks like a pretty good deal and the reviews describe it as covering a wide range of applications. Just curious if anyone has tried this in the field and has an opinion on it.

Thanks again to all those who have offered up suggestions. I almost pulled the trigger on Bob and Geri's top pic but I thought I would give it one more day.

Does anyone have any intel on the Canon SX-170?

I appreciate all the feedback and recommendations, but I haven't seen any pictures taken with the Panasonic that look much better than what I am getting out of my budget p&s.

Thank you again,

Done.

Canon PowerShot SX280 HS
Ebay $178

Here are some sample images if anyone out there is also looking for a good option for around $200.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX280_HS/sample_images.shtml

Thank you all again for your technical support and advice. I really learned a lot and agonized over this decision, but the pictures I saw online truly do speak for themselves.

Be well,

The compact superzoom cameras are great for what they are designed to do. They have excellent value in a relatively small package, will take very nice pictures in good outdoor light, OK pictures at full zoom, and relatively poor quality shots in low light. Without a viewfinder they can be difficult to use in bright light and will have moderate shutter lag (delay between pushing the button and taking the shot).

The Canon models are pretty good but they don't stand out in the field of compact ultrazooms.

My friend was asking last week what camera she should take to South Africa. I suggested the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V, a superzoom with a 50x (1200mm) lens (2400mm digital). They're a pretty good value compared to buying separate body and comparable lenses, considering her experience level and what she's using it for.

The problem with those superzooms is that the cameras are barely useful at the full zoom extensions unless you are in bright sunshine, have a steady hand, and your subject isn't moving. Or if you have a tripod. Even with Image Stabilization it's very difficult to hand hold at that length, those lenses are notoriously soft at full zoom, and they eat a lot of light. In order to make the lenses as small as possible the image sensor is tiny, leading to poor image quality. IMO, you're better off with a moderate zoom that takes better images.

Yes, that's all generally true, and they are a compromise. I believe they're even termed "bridge" cameras. The particular Sony I mentioned addressed most of those issues pretty well, including an upgraded sensor. And double yes on the tripod--I hope she took my repeated advice to get at least a monopod for safari trips.

Having gigantic optical zoom is a great feature, and hopefully she won't find herself having to use all 1200mm all of the time. Digital zoom is mostly a gimmick IMO.

I use a little Olympus Tough - $150.00. It takes underwater photos, video and is good to -10 degrees. I have dropped it in brooks and on ledges without a problem. I use it in the winter - snow - rain no problem. It takes great pictures and fits in your pocket.

I have a Canon G10, which is a high-end P&S. It takes great pictures for a P&S but is bulky and heavy. So, for a specific project this winter I purchased a $90 Canon from Amazon that slides in and out of a pocket and operates on full automatic with mitts on (I eschewed a case for speed and convenience).

Take a look at these pics and see what 90 bucks'll get you nowadays. I wonder if we can thank smart phone cameras for the drop in prices.