Starr King and Waumbek via Starr King Trail (24 April 2014)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Starr King and Waumbek (24 April 2014)

Conditions: Starr King Trail was muddy, wet, and soft down low. This changed over to a thin layer over more frozen ground and eventually to a trail covered in places with 3 feet. Monorail is not well defined yet so it was easy to stay on. Not much ice on trail. A few places took care. One walk around blowdown that is not fully blocking the trail but would be a rude wake up call if not paying attention. Post holing not an issue, although there are some holes here and there in the trail.

Equipment: I carried snowshoes and microspikes. Both stayed on the pack all day. Microspikes would have helped in a couple places and people out there were wearing them.

Comments: turned out to be a good day for Waumbek with high winds predicted anywhere exposed. Got some sun on my face at a few points and had some views from the outlooks of summits covered in clouds. A nice day out and a popular spot with 9 cars in the lot when I left at 10 AM. Nice meeting the 'Wednesday hikers.'