Guns on the trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unlikely hiker

Reaction score
After reading about the misadventure of the young man on Mt. Adams and the following story several days later about a hiker finding the gun that had been lost in the fall - I started wondering how many hikers actually carry a firearm while hiking.
A couple of years ago I ran into a man on Mt. Pierce that had a gun on his hip - I spent some time wondering what he might have to protect himself from.
I'm curious is this a common practice?

Most of the time, threads that begin with questions about hunting and firearms quickly get radioactive.
It should be interesting to hear about how common it is for hikers to carry firearms. We hope it's not necessary to moderate the replies.

Alan

After reading about the misadventure of the young man on Mt. Adams and the following story several days later about a hiker finding the gun that had been lost in the fall - I started wondering how many hikers actually carry a firearm while hiking.
A couple of years ago I ran into a man on Mt. Pierce that had a gun on his hip - I spent some time wondering what he might have to protect himself from.
I'm curious is this a common practice?
It used to be more normal for people to open carry in nh which is legal. These days you do not see it as much. My guess is the dude open carrying on Pierce was trying to display his rights and get a reaction unless he was hunting in the area. I am very open about gun rights compared to most of my crowd of friends. But I dont get why someone has to open carry in MAnch for example. On the flip side I am not going to tell someone up north and maine not to carry because I trust their intentions are more normal for those parts. Most I know in nh get a permit so as to be more private about it.
A question does come to mind as to if it was ok to open carry on federal land which I believe Pierce is on? I think there was a thread about this before?

A question does come to mind as to if it was ok to open carry on federal land which I believe Pierce is on? I think there was a thread about this before?
I believe it is. There used to be a restriction on Park Service land, but that law was changed (which is why all NPS buildings now sport new "no firearms" stickers: firearms in federal buildings are still verboten.)

As long as it's legal I guess it isn't really an issue, although I really don't see the need to carry in The Whites unless you're hunting. I'll just exercise my right to steer clear if someone with a gun makes me uncomfortable.

As long as it's legal I guess it isn't really an issue, although I really don't see the need to carry in The Whites unless you're hunting. I'll just exercise my right to steer clear if someone with a gun makes me uncomfortable.

Agreed and agreed. To me, if you're carrying a handgun, you're really only prepared to shoot other humans. Not sure it's going to do much to a bear or an angry moose. IME, someone exercising their rights (any right) for no other reason than they have the right to do so is someone to be avoided.

I value the 2nd amendment. However, the few times I have encountered armed hikers in the Whites I found it mildly distasteful. I totally agree that it is surely unnecessary to be so armed in such a peaceful setting.

Hike your own hike.

I'll start by saying I'm someone who enjoys shooting, I don't hunt anymore but I'm very much in favor responsible individuals be able to provide adequate response to violent attacks or tyrannical governments. As for backpacking with a side arm, first off unless you are carrying something ridiculously heavy you are most likely going wound or anger any large animal that may be perceived threat. That leaves humans. I'm not an easy target and I don't go looking for trouble. For a single women I can see where a firearm may bring piece of mind. I spend way too much money trying to get my pack weight down to carry my loaded pistol, my dslr is bad enough!

For a single women I can see where a firearm may bring piece of mind. I spend way too much money trying to get my pack weight down to carry my loaded pistol, my dslr is bad enough!

For reals.

I actually think bear spray would be a better option - lighter, less conspicuous, and can serve a dual purpose!

The last person killed by a bear in New Hampshire died while the Articles of Confederation still governed this country. (For you folks who have forgotten why it was necessary to have a stronger federal government than the Articles provided for, this was back in 1784.)

Fish and Game has some good advice on this subject at Frequently asked bear questions

Alaska's Department of Fish and Game has some good advice if you're going to be out among the larger versions: Living With Bears

I personally don't, but I see zero reason to make any judgments about someone who does. Why would there be any issue? Or make anyone uncomfortable? Or need to make someone avoid them? What logical argument can be made by the statement "He's carrying a pistol, I need to avoid him"? To me, it's like saying "oh, he's not wearing snowshoes, he must be from Massachusetts"

The only hike I've ever been on where a gun has been brought was my July 2013 hike up Mount Liberty. I didn't carry it, but my hiking buddy did. We passed dozens of people going up and down, but none of them knew he had a gun. Probably because he was carrying it concealed;). With a CCL, just to let you know.

With the exception of the police officer who pulled me over, I never met anyone in New Hampshire carrying a gun in the mountains or elsewhere. I did encounter a number of hunters in Maine, some sitting right on the trail. While hiking the AT through Georgia and up to the Smokies I met two people carrying a gun in a holster. I've also encountered hunters on the trail and today I met someone on the trail in Georgia in full camouflage with face painted and all with a bow and arrows.

I personally don't, but I see zero reason to make any judgments about someone who does. Why would there be any issue? Or make anyone uncomfortable? Or need to make someone avoid them? What logical argument can be made by the statement "He's carrying a pistol, I need to avoid him"? To me, it's like saying "oh, he's not wearing snowshoes, he must be from Massachusetts"

Presenting a strawman argument is not going to be logical...

A lot of people are uncomfortable with people carrying handguns around. There is a pretty long history of people shooting other people over percieved threats. To me, carrying a gun in the woods suggests that you think you might need to use it, otherwise it is just dead weight. So, if I see someone brandishing a weapon, I tend to think they are either looking to defend themselves (i.e. shoot someone) or they are doing it solely because they have the right to, which scares me. I would prefer not to get shot, much as I prefer not to die in an avalanche. Therefore, I prefer to avoid those situations.

You seem to think that anyone with a gun simply intends to shoot someone...anyone. It's just a naive and near sighted statement that you will probably never comprehend. People are either on one side or the other. I choose to not let things bother me, or sway my opinion simply based on someone carrying a gun.

That must mean your opinion about every policeman intends to shoot someone. Why else would they have signed up for police work? No other reason right?

...So, if I see someone brandishing a weapon, I tend to think they are either looking to defend themselves (i.e. shoot someone) or they are doing it solely because they have the right to, which scares me.

I think brandishing is a bit more flagrant than open carry in a holster. Open carry would not make me nervous, but brandishing might. I think I have seen one person open carrying in 8 years and hundreds of hikes. No idea how many concealed carriers. Never once brandishing though - I'm certain of that.

Tim

I think brandishing is a bit more flagrant than open carry in a holster. Open carry would not make me nervous, but brandishing might. I think I have seen one person open carrying in 8 years and hundreds of hikes. No idea how many concealed carriers. Never once brandishing though - I'm certain of that.

Tim
We've had several people show up at the BLM tower with a gun on display. One was carrying a rifle in his hand. He set it down at the base of the tower and then climbed up. I started chatting with him, and he said when he carried a gun, everyone was really nice to him. :rolleyes: (It was not hunting season)

Others had hang guns displayed (shoved in their pants, but obvious) but not in a holster.

I've seen a few in the ADKs as well, mostly holstered.

Status
Not open for further replies.