Missing hiker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
Don't see t thread on Gerry Largay who disappeared while hiking near Spaulding last summer. Must be deleted. Anyhow, by chance, just saw the end of a N Woods Law episode apparently dedicated to the search. People, dogs, helos, etc. Still looking.

I saw the whole program last evening myself. Found it very interesting but one thing really puzzled me and could very easily have saved considerable search time and effort in the initial days. According to her husband she never signed in at any of the shelters. Consequently all searchers had to go on was a text her husband had received from her from Popular Ridge Lean-to that stated she was there, spending the night and then heading to Spaulding Lean-to the next day. Knowing there was considerable dead cell phone space in Maine her husband did not report her missing for a few days when he didn't hear from her the next day. Searchers were forced to concentrate initial efforts between PRL-to and Spaulding. Then they responding to other potential sightings off the AT and lost even more valuable time. Had Gerry signed in at the lean-tos at least searchers could have focused their efforts and there might have been a much different outcome. Very sad story for sure. When doing multi-day or even day hikes, do most folks sign log books at KIOSKs and lean-to when available?

Personally I can't imagine ever signing some log book in the woods. I've spent a lot of time looking for lost folks. Leaving a trip plan is something I do and encourage, but signing a log book is antithetical to the experience I'm seeking. YMMV.

When doing multi-day or even day hikes, do most folks sign log books at KIOSKs and lean-to when available?
As a day hiker, I never sign lean-to books if I'm just walking past. For starters, the lean-to is often down a side trail. I always considered the log book something for the overnight guests, and a tool for the maintainer to know how much use the shelter is getting.

There are a few interior sign-in spots in the ADKs, and the signs encourage people to utilize them. I have no problem with that.

I thru hiked the AT and regularly signed the registers whether I stayed in them or not. I don't always do it now unless I have something to add of note. On my last longish hike of the Long Trail 2.5 yrs ago, I regularly signed registers again whether I stayed or just passed by. I did a Mahoosuc Traverse last fall which was my last multi day on the AT and I don't think I signed any registers even though I stayed in a lean to. When you are thru hiking the AT or LT you tend to meet people and signing registers is a way to keep track of each other. On spots on the Maine AT there are sign in boxes left by the MATC with note cards. I usually sign them just to give the MATC an idea of activity in more remote areas. Baxter State Park has TH sign in sheets that I use as well. I always leave my itinerary at home as well.

Hikers in NZ, at least when I was there years ago, would often sign in at the huts along the trails. I was in one once at Mt. Cook NP when a search team came looking for a lost hiker. I believe he had signed in, but in any event, some of his gear was also there. Never found him, btw. Best guess-fell into a crevasse on the glacier.