Franconia Ridge Knife Injury

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is there limited cell phone coverage on Franconia Ridge? Isn't Cannon summit across the notch full of cell phone antennae?

Yeah, that surprised me too. If they went down to the Liberty Springs trail head, then I suppose they were camping in the Col, and the summit cone of Liberty could have been blocking the signal. (I had to look at a map to figure out that was even possible).

I was surprised they did not even mention the limb cutting in the article. Instances like this make an argument for collecting $$$ for rescues.

Yeah, that surprised me too. If they went down to the Liberty Springs trail head, then I suppose they were camping in the Col, and the summit cone of Liberty could have been blocking the signal. (I had to look at a map to figure out that was even possible).

Liberty and the ridge to little haystack would most definitely be in the way. They could also have T-Mobile and not get service practically anywhere in the whites.

I was surprised they did not even mention the limb cutting in the article. Instances like this make an argument for collecting $$$ for rescues.

Why? The F&G release says they were prepared.
The hikers were adequately prepared with sleeping bags and tents.

Tim

Ps I have had 4 bar LTE service along the ridge top.

Why? The F&G release says they were prepared.
The hikers were adequately prepared with sleeping bags and tents.

Tim

Ps I have has 4 bar LTE service along the ridge top.

No need to have been rescued if he had not stabbed himself while slashing limbs. I did not mean to open a can of worms debating the merit or not of recouping rescue monies. I think I was bing more sarcastic than anything... should have added an emoticon or kept my fingers off the key board. Apologies :)

When I originally saw the press release yesterday, I wrote F&G and politely expressed my disappointment that nothing was mentioned about the inappropriateness of that "evergreen bough cutting" and how the media and readers could see it as condoning that aspect of the behavior.

I expect part of the big knife issue is that the various cable TV survival show hosts generally have a big knife and usually cut local vegetation for shelters using a big knife as a substitute for the appropriate tool. Generally they present the opposite to Leave no Trace. I expect that to the uninitiated, that if they saw it on TV it must be right.

Of course they may have just looked at the "good old days" pre 1970 when "everyone" cut boughs for beds.

No need to have been rescued if he had not stabbed himself while slashing limbs. I did not mean to open a can of worms debating the merit or not of recouping rescue monies. I think I was bing more sarcastic than anything... should have added an emoticon or kept my fingers off the key board. Apologies :)

No need to apologize. I wanted to understand your reasoning. Which I understand to be since his behavior was against the rules he was therefore negligent and a candidate for recovery of expenses. An interesting subject in the what-is-negligent discussion.

An alternative would be to write a ticket for violation of the no cutting live trees rule.

Tim

Last edited:
Liberty and the ridge to little haystack would most definitely be in the way. They could also have T-Mobile and not get service practically anywhere in the whites.

Haha - yeah, seriously. I use Verizon, and in the past few years I've started carrying my phone on most hikes because I usually do have reception now. I was able to do a video call with my wife from Fletcher Cascade a couple weeks ago.

As for the [tree] limb cutting, I think people should first acknowledge that they are glad the kid is OK, then display their dismay over the violation of the limb cutting rule.

What the...??!!

If they had to cut boughs off live trees, they were not "adequately prepared" in my opinion. Crazy stuff there...

"Stabbed himself in a lower extremity".

Wondering since they didn't just say "leg", if a fine might be among the least of his worries.

i remember in 1986 at thirteen falls..we were cooking breakfast on the rocks..and my buddy stepped an an opened spam can(right on the sharp top that was somewhat still attached. he bled like a stuck pig. we went up south twin and over the bonds, and he was one hurting unit. it took a while to stop the blood flow. thank god for spare t shirts and duct tape

This story reminded me of that Anthony Hopkins movie " The Edge". Maybe the fitting punishment for cutting pines branches, is to release that Griz from the movie on them.:eek:

So he "accidentally stabbed himself in a lower extremity, incurring a debilitating injury that left him unable to walk without assistance.". Exactly what/how was the kid cutting pine boughs that he cut himself so bad he couldn't walk ?!?!?!?! My first thought when I read this was that the kids had a fight and this was a cover story. Seems all kinds of ridiculous to me. Was the kid sitting on the branches up in the tree and cutting them off between his legs??

And leave it to the unyielding scrutiny of the VFTT to spin off into a discussion of the validity of no cell service in that area. I'm surprised no one posted a coverage map of all the major carriers in that area. :)

"Stabbed himself in a lower extremity".

Wondering since they didn't just say "leg", if a fine might be among the least of his worries.

Maybe it wasn't the "leg." I like your thinking Quietman (with louder thoughts).