more AMC vs the snomobilers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no problem with the snomobiles

It's part of how some people enjoy the outdoors in winter. Some alpine ski, some hike, some cross country ski, some bird watch and some snomobile. Just because we prefer to hike does not mean we can't share the wildreness. I think stances like our own AMC is taking give us a bad rap as an intolerable ultra leftist organization when we need to be more middle of the road to gain any respect. We're all such hipocrits I see more gas guzzeling suv's and awd vehicles with AMC stickers than I do hybrid Toyota's or Honda's come to think of it I have never seen a hybrid parked at a trail head. Snomobilers have been using the trails around Twin Mtn. long before we built the hypocrit palace. Every year I wonder more and more why I belong to a group that is so intolerant of other humans. just my .02.

Not to AMC bash, but it seems to me that this is a hotel located between a highway and some railroad tracks, and the issue is snow mobiles 2 months out of the year? Me thinks there are better fights to pick concerning preserving the forest.

From my input on the a thread I posted on my HC stay this past weekend:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5332

"... there were yellow flyers available at the front desk. it was explained at dinner " you folks might have seen our new snowmobile trails around the HC. We would like to hear your thoughts on our trails and your input is very important to us." Important for them to use as ammo in court."

They have tourists from NY and PA filling out comment cards on an issue they know nothing about!
:eek:

Do it peakbagr - this is only the 124th thread on snowmobiling in the last 2 months.

"Do it peakbagr - this is only the 124th thread on snowmobiling in the last 2 months."

Awwwww, come on.... If it wasn't for snowmobiles, the AMC and dogs nobody would ever post! :D

Jasonst said:
Do it peakbagr - this is only the 124th thread on snowmobiling in the last 2 months.
Yeah, it's kind of seasonal. Jet ski discussions are a little flat this time of year in the N.E.

Peakbagr said:
...tick...tick....tick

So, are discussions of land use issues in New England and discussion of the AMC specifically, considered to be political (and thus, verbotten) or not?

I note that the site rules are (delightfully) ambiguous on that.
http://www.vftt.org/rules.html

Jasonst said:
That is one ugly baby in your pack. The pink helmet is a nice touch though.
Rule #1: never call anybody's baby "ugly." That just really cold, man.

Last edited:
Very funny switcharoo. Has SherpaK commented on the pic yet?

"Switcheroo"? SherpaK? What are you talking about?

This is thread about snowmobilers and the AMC -- could we stay a bit more on topic? ;)

Last edited:
Sherpakroto was in your backpack, instead of your baby, earlier.

TCD said:
Sherpakroto was in your backpack, instead of your baby, earlier.

Hey, I do have an advocate. Thanks for hangin' me out to dry ;)

"So, are discussions of land use issues in New England and discussion of the AMC specifically, considered to be political (and thus, verbotten) or not?"

It doesn't have anything to do with 'political'. Like a number of other potentially explosive topics, threads like this often devolve into little illumination and sometimes turn into name calling. So far, so good on this one.

I've never had an unpleasant experience with snowmobilers in 20+ years of winter activities in the White Mountains.

The sense of entitlement I think I've witnessed (could be over-sensitive me) from a more than one AMC group was at least irritating, if not unpleasant.

Since all of these encounters were all on WMNF land, I have to give the nod to the snowmobilers.

PS:
I may not be father of the year, but I think I can tell the difference between SherpaK and my daughter. And if saying it was SherpaK and saying he is ugly is gonna be your story :rolleyes:, well, remember, he is somebody's baby, too. So, even in this dubious instance, we return to Rule #1: never call anybody's baby "ugly." ;)

Last edited:
I agree - if only

I too have had only positive experiences in sharing trails with snowmobilers. I do make sure that I am wearing my hunter orange vest, and keep to the side of the trails while I am skiing.

If only the machines wouldn't stink so much with all that raw gasoline exhaust smell. Have you ever gone into an eating establishment that was full of riders! Man, how can they stand it themselves?

did kaibar get it 100% or what - couldn't agree more.

I used to be a member of the amc for years, didn't renew for a few years and then gave them another shot this year - I realized my mistake almost instantly. I will not renew with them ever again. They have real big ones to even consider blasting the snowmobilers.

the only thing the highland center is good for is using the bathroom for #2 before a climb.

Eau de Hiker

>>> If only the machines wouldn't stink so much with all that raw gasoline exhaust smell. Have you ever gone into an eating establishment that was full of riders! Man, how can they stand it themselves? <<<

I'll bet more than one diner has thought the same thing when a group of hikers comes in after a week in the woods, dripping with sweat and Old Time Woodsman's Fly Dope.

:)

kaibar got it 100% correct. There's room for everyone and there's more than one way to enjoy the great outdoors.

Bad experiances with both hikers and snowmobilers

I think if we are going to say NO to snow mobilers (which I have never been on one, but would love to try some time) then we have to say NO to messy, noisey, rude, tree cutting, trash leaving, late night drinking hikers. The snow mobilers stay on there trails in all experiances I've had with them and have always waved in a very nice way. One even stopped on Paugus Rd. this past weekend and asked me if I wanted a ride a little ways(I declined, but thanked him). I think it would be nice if they snow mobil companies could find better ways to quiet the machines down some and make them less stinky and thats not only for hikers it's also to make the exeriance for snow mobilers better as well as for local home owners with land next to SM trails. Either way I think the hotel AMC in the long run will cause more negative impact than snow mobilers will.

I heard that the old Crawford Hostel was back open. What's the latest news on this?