Ledges On Chocorua

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I have had Chocorua on my list for this Spring (well technically its been 28 years) and seem to keep bumping it for weather and a variety of other factors. Once again Sat weather looks sketchy but I decided I'm going anyway. The route I planned (Nickerson, Carter, Middle Sister, Piper) mentions a lot of tricky ledge scrambles with side sloping ledges. Given it has been wet the past few days and light rain is in the forecast tomorrow should I be concerned about any of these ledges? I really don't want to miss the Sisters and other features by taking another route. Should I bump it yet again for a better day?

Know it's short notice but if anyone happens to be on VFTT tonight and has some input let me know. Thanks.

I did a similar loop last fall (descent via Weetamoo) and remember at least one side sloping ledge with a big step that gave me pause. If I remember correctly, the ledges were a little damp and I made it. Now as a disclaimer, I'd describe myself as an athletic 30 yr old so your mileage may vary :).

To be honest, I'd postpone again for the only reason being that the loop is gorgeous and I'd want to see it on a clear day. Or at least have the mountain not be socked in, but you could still get lucky with a high cloud ceiling.

Going up from the Kanc. on the Champney Falls Trail. It is well graded for an easier climb. ( The falls should great) is a safe way up and the option to the sisters is good. Then back to the Champney to the Piper trail. When you come to the jct. with the west side trail. Take it to avoid the worst of the ledges but if dry take it IS is worth it. The west side will meet the Liberty trail to the summit. Just above tree line you have the steep ledge to the top in about 50 yards.
If wet use care. At that point you will still have great views but not as good as the top. Good Luck. Listen/Watch for lightning in the pm.

As long as the cloud ceiling is high enough to see the summit cone and Sisters all at once I'll be satisfied. I know the area very well. Just never hiked it. It looks like there could be some breaks around lunch so hopefully I luck out. Been putting it off for nearly two months now.

There was one trip report up and down Piper Trail that said trail was in very good shape but there is still snow even on this short peak (%#$%#). That is my planned descent route and that is generally where I would have issues. I'm usually fine climbing and if the ledges are open for views hopefully the breeze will dry them enough to be a non-issue.

I'm not quite 44 years old, 6' 3" with good reach and vicariously athletic. :)

Correction The West side connects to the Brook trail not Liberty. Turn left on the Brook to summit. The summit cone is straight ahead and the sisters also in view but both are better form the Piper.

I have had Chocorua on my list for this Spring (well technically its been 28 years) and seem to keep bumping it for weather and a variety of other factors. Once again Sat weather looks sketchy but I decided I'm going anyway. The route I planned (Nickerson, Carter, Middle Sister, Piper) mentions a lot of tricky ledge scrambles with side sloping ledges. Given it has been wet the past few days and light rain is in the forecast tomorrow should I be concerned about any of these ledges? I really don't want to miss the Sisters and other features by taking another route. Should I bump it yet again for a better day?

Know it's short notice but if anyone happens to be on VFTT tonight and has some input let me know. Thanks.

The route you mention has one side sloping ledge that is very dangerous when wet. When dry it's not bad. I definitely would not do it in the rain. As I remember the growth around this ledge is very thick and a whack would be difficult if not impossible. At any rate the views are on the upper section of Chocorua are so spectacular I think it is a mistake to do your first hike up there on anything less than a pristine day.

I climbed it about a month ago. There was still snow all the way up. It was a warm and sunny day. I went up from rt 113 to the little sister and then on to Chocorua.I was not bothered by any steep ledges. It didn't seem like anything out of the ordinary. Maybe I was just ignorant. It was my first time climbing it.
What a view!
I would suggest climbing this on a clear day. If you go and it is socked in you are missing a spectacular view and will have to climb it again. I know I will be climbing this one again. I guess they say it is the most climbed mt in NH. So prepare yourself for that.

I wound up scrapping it. I got to trail head at 6:45AM and it was raining pretty good and foggy so after 10 minutes of debating I decided to head over to Lincoln Woods. I did some exploring/redlining on East Side Trail and Pine Island Trail. Never been on that side of the river. Was a pretty cool walk (much more interesting than Lincoln Woods side) and the river was roaring today but I hit an impassable river crossing about 4.5 miles in so I turned back....and arrived to clearing skies and bright sunshine the last mile or so to the car. Could see the peak of Chocorua gleaming clearly in the sun as I drove back down the Kanc. Oh well. Should have trusted my weather forecast. It was right on the money.

I’ll bet that impassable crossing was Cedar Brook. I got turned around there in 2011. Probably could have made it if I’d had to, but it didn’t seem worth the bother, because, like you, I was just checking it out for wont of anything better to do.

But I couldn’t get onto Pine Island, because the water was so high. Then, six days later, Hurricane Irene hit, and the water ran through there like never before.

That was the crossing at 3.9 miles. If I had remembered my water shoes it wouldn't have been too bad. Everything was so wet I didn't want to chance the logs. I do't have the greatest balance skills. Many sections of the beginning of East Side Pemi trail and the Pine Island trail had sand deposits all over them. I'd imagine there was some serious water in their not too long ago.

Pine Island is a nice diversion. About half way in I went out onto a large sandbar and got some sun and some temporary views. In the distance you could see the steep slides of either Scar Ridge or the Osceolas (couldn't tell with the cloud cover) with snow all over them peaking in and out of the low lying clouds and mist. Looked like a scene from something out West.

Hmm, were those the slides od west bond maybe? Never been on Pine Island, but I suspect that the Osceola Slides are blocked from view.

That Cedar Brook crossing is tough. Upstream about 150' or so there was a good crossing log last March. Not sure what shape it is in now.

If you are reslining, then you will have to do Chocorua at least 4 times I believe.

Cedar Brook used to be doable because of the shape of the stream bed and a downed tree. Before the hurricane hit the area a few years ago. Now it is a much deeper channel. The crossing is not in as far as 4 miles, but only a 20 minute walk. After crossing the stream, there is one muddy area as it climbs to height of land and then down the other side to Tripoli Road. Very pretty woods. Will have to speak with Forest Service about re-routing, perhaps. Over the years, many have walked further upstream to find a better crossing during high water, but I've never needed to do that. One year I ran into a trio who were going to carrying a boat with them to float in the Pond. I shouldn't have, but did discourage them.

That "one ledge" people are referring to is described in the WMG as "a particularly tricky ledge". Ed'n'Lauky said its not bad when dry, but I disagree: I HATED this 30 ft of trail, and I was there on a beautiful day. To give you some idea:

1238991_10153202988825276_677035694_n.jpg

The problem with that picture is that it doesn't show the shear drop off on the left with nothing to grab hold of at the end of that ledge. DayTrip if you can do this hike on a pristine day, you can decide for yourself if you would like to attempt that ledge in the rain. Maybe we're just wimps. :)

Hmm, were those the slides od west bond maybe? Never been on Pine Island, but I suspect that the Osceola Slides are blocked from view.

That Cedar Brook crossing is tough. Upstream about 150' or so there was a good crossing log last March. Not sure what shape it is in now.

If you are reslining, then you will have to do Chocorua at least 4 times I believe.

Maybe redlining was a strong term. I was taking trails I've never been on before.

The ravine I was looking in seemed just like the ones on North Side of Osceola later from the road but in looking at a map I think it was the Scar Ridge. Doesn't seem like Osceola could have been visible where I was. Should have took a compass bearing but I didn't think too. Either way it was pretty cool.

The problem with that picture is that it doesn't show the shear drop off on the left with nothing to grab hold of at the end of that ledge. DayTrip if you can do this hike on a pristine day, you can decide for yourself if you would like to attempt that ledge in the rain. Maybe we're just wimps. :)

Thanks for picture iagreewithjamie.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to do that ledge on a wet day. Call me what you want. :)

Personally I would put the hike off for a dry, clear picture perfect day. That route is the best route up Chocorua and anything less than a perfect weather day would be selling yourself short. Plus ledges just aren't quite as fun when dangerous by being wet. Saturday they are calling for heavy rain. No thanks! There will be better days!

FINALLY got this peak done today. What a great hike! I'd rank this mountain harder than quite a few of the 48 4k's out there. Route I took actually had 3516' of vertical ascent an tons of ledgy areas. Summit cone is steeper than anything I can think of on the 4k list.