hiking partner for Crockers and Redington end of June

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaos

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an avid hiker (did 54 4ks in 6 months last year, working on the Long Trail [start and finish] and finishing the NE 4ks this year). Most people say that I hike fast, but I am capable of slowing my pace to stay with my hiking partner(s). My map and compass skills suck. I've been trying to work on that, and I don't trust myself to do a trailless peak yet. Also, not knowing anyone that possesses this skill makes it harder to learn.

Who I'm looking for: Someone who has either done Redington before or has good map and compass skills, enough to not get us hopelessly lost in the middle of nowhere (like I would).
What I'm looking to do: Both Crockers and Redington in the same trip. Thought about starting from Caribou Road, but I'm open to suggestions if you have better knowledge of the area than I do.
When I want to go: either June 21, 22, 24, or 25 (this year obviously). Your pick. :)

You can either PM me or reply here with any questions or qualifications.

As for my post count... if it counted the number of posts I've read instead of made, my number would be much higher. :D

Thank you, Tim. It's nice to see the pictures and know that it's not as terrifying as I'm afraid it will be. Would still be nice to have someone to go with though! :D

The standard gotcha is following the AT boundary cut. Don't do this. You can go left or right on it, should you lose the herd path from South Crocker, until you find the herd path again... Otherwise, it was remarkably straightforward.

Tim

No comments on the hike per se, but I have to chuckle at the trail name: CHAOS. Yikes! But fun too....

; )

totally spaced out on this thread ... sorry ... I'm going to VT this weekend to do Jay Peak, Big Jay, and Mansfield :)

I actually met some very nice people just after the trailhead who let me be their dingleberry all day (my choice of terminology, not theirs lol). We bagged both Crockers and Redington last Sunday. All that worrying for nothing! Fairly easy trip, but I was glad to be able to go out there with some folks instead of doing it alone.

I hiked Redington last year and thought that it was the best hike of the 67 - I followed the Caribou Pond Road to a point just below the old bridge and then logging roads, from the last logging road everything is pretty well marked and easy to follow. Of course you can bushwhack from South Crocker but I found that the other route was much more enjoyable. Enjoy!

We ended up doing both actually! The bushwhack from South Crocker was pretty easy to follow if you knew to look for it off the AT boundary cut. On the way out we decided to take the logging roads just because it was easier. So well marked. People are really great. Was really surprised when we ran into more people near Redington than we did on the AT to the Crockers! I thought that would have been reversed. Still great to see people out there. Fantastic hike!