The Devil's Den

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
I was wondering as to how many people are familiar with this place. I went into a place, ok a cave, known as the Devil's Den. It contained a fixed bolt and an old tabacco can with tattered papers in it ( old register). You cant hike to it, you have to either climb up to it or descend down to it. Its about 25 ft deep or so and very exposed. It is in the Whites.

There are numerous places with that name, are you referring to the one on Mt Willard made famous by EA Crawford?

A local guide friend of mine teaches mountaineering & winter skills training for several branches of the military.

He told me about one scenario he setup for his students where an person playing the role of an enemy combatant was inside that very cave and the trainees had to rappell down the cliff, in the winter, at night with night vision goggles, in full combat gear, then extricate the person from the cave and rap down the rest of the cliff with their "prisoner"!!!

He said the scary part was some of the trainees had just learned to rappel the previous day...