North Kinsman, South Kinsman - 5/24/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pac-man

Reaction score
Trails: Mt. Kinsman Trail, Kinsman Ridge Trail

Trail Conditions: Damp trails but clear up to the Bald Peak junction, once you start climbing the trail was fairly eroded, more than I remember from last fall. It was very wet, rocky, and rooty - with only a few patches of ice that were easily navigable. The crossings were easy as well. The KRT was pretty boggy in the col between North and South, also with some ice patches. It looked as though good trail maintenance had been performed - no blowdowns anywhere.

Equipment: Had microspikes in my bag, but never used them. A few icy spots but could walk around them.

Comments: The weather forecast was ominous, but figured if I started early enough I'd be OK. Only 1 car in the lot when I started, it was nice to throw the trail runners back on for the season. The weather was comfortable, but cloudy on the ascent. Once I got up to North, the views were better than expected to Franconia. South Kinsman was a little socked in once I got there, but then everything cleared up once I was back at North Kinsman. It was actually beautiful on the outlook, which was really unexpected. I decided to take a look at Bald Peak on my way down because I hadn't been there before - looks like a great lunch spot. I did notice some ominous looking clouds in the distance, so I made quick time down to the trailhead and the sky opened up 1 minute before I reached the car, good timing! Overall, the weather was better than I anticipated for the morning, and it was nice to leave the winter clothing at home.