Plateau and Silver Hollow mountain 5-24-14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermit

Reaction score
Home-West Shokan N.Y.Avatar 35x12 Catskill grid pa
Saturday did not look like a perfect day to hike,but my friend Linda was flying in from London on a late day flight and was looking to hike in the Catskills after a hectic work week. She told me that she was stuck in a 4 hr. traffic jam coming up from J.F.K. also_Once back in the peaceful Catskills we hit the trail at Edgewood just off of rt. 214. We parked at the lower section because we didn't want to get into a hassle with the land owner at the trail head.The turnpike rd. is slightly eroded from the big storms over the last few year,but not too bad. There are a few new blow downs on the old turnpike rd. also.At the junction we took the Long Path to the Devil's Path on Plateau.This part of the trail is so beautiful,with vista's along the way. Not much of a view from the summit of Plateau yesterday ,but along the route we did have some. We then went back to the junction and climbed Silver Hollow mountain,a Catskill Hundred Highest peak .Linda had never climbed it before , and she enjoyed the trail that doesn't see much travel.We stopped at one view point and looked back at the ridge going to Plateau that we were on a short time ago_On Plateau we did meet some folks that were hiking the entire Devil's Path from Prediger rd. to Spruceton. 24 miles and 8 or 9000 ft. vertical ascent. I had done it 3 times and each time it took me longer.I will have to work on that:)Here are a few pictures.https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=110274937487305514320&target=ALBUM&id=6017109927038172081&authkey=Gv1sRgCN3Ok5u1nOGdZg&feat=email

Last edited:
Great TR, Ralph. I happened to be speaking with our NE friend about some photography stuff a couple of days ago. He's still interested in the Presidentials trip.