Mt Washington via Tuckerman Ravine and Lion Head (summer route) Trails - 5/25

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: May 25, 2014

Trail Conditions: The Tuckerman Ravine Trail's lower half was its typical rock-strewn dry stream, though today it was a little damp and there were some remains of ice on trail between the Fire Road and Summer Route junction. The upper half was in typical rock pile fashion and almost entirely ice-/snow-free. Summer is here on the mountain -- except for the ravines (Tucks is still closed), a patch on the eastern snowfields, north end, and a few of the couloirs (Hillman's Highway and Left Gully were almost entirely skiable). The Lion Head Trail offered less ice than Tucks and aside from a little mud, a couple of snow fields we skirted, and the usual stream that runs towards the Alpine Garden junction, the trail was dry and in great shape.

Special Equipment Used: We brought trekking poles and microspikes, but the latter simply were not needed at all. We barebooted the entire trek.

Comments: Hiked this one as lead for my work. Nice to get back on the mountain during our slower shoulder months (though I have been offering a wilderness navigation course to fill the time). Great group today, and they fought the car and train tourists valiantly for access to the summit sign. I was proud. Lots of trash on the mountain, but we carried a ton of it out.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
North Conway NH

Last edited: