GoPro (ish) question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamp

Reaction score
If you go on an extended trip (like the AT) and document it with something like a GoPro is there a compact device that you can carry to periodically download the camera to, or are you damned to carry 500 microSD cards ?

PhotoSafe II holds 500 GB That's what I use when on my month long hikes in Europe. I also carry four spare 32 GB SDCs and four spare GoPro batteries. Also a tiny USB charger and power adapter for the country in which I am wandering. I would mail the PhotoSafe ahead in a bounce box on the AT, Or possible use Poste Restante overseas since the PhotoSafe weighs about a pound. If I recall this gives me about 10 hours of video before dumping files and charging batteries. Lots of short clips to knit together in the winter.

Bringing along extra storage space shouldn't be an issue as chips are small and light weight anyway. I'd be more concerned with recharging the battery!

I use small solar panels to charge up devices:

http://www.voltaicsystems.com/

Last edited:
I'll second Voltaic, they make good stuff. You do need to get the right wattage for the device(s) you plan to charge. It's easiest to let the panel charge their battery during the day, then charge your battery from theirs at night.

I'll second Voltaic, they make good stuff. You do need to get the right wattage for the device(s) you plan to charge. It's easiest to let the panel charge their battery during the day, then charge your battery from theirs at night.

Good point on the wattage.

Good idea to buy a couple batteries. Charge em up before you head out so you have a full battery while the other is charging.