Lupines status around WMNF area?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some lupine shots this year with the mountains in the background, preferably as a sunrise shot. I know about the Sugar Hill fields, and there are some other spots as well. I was just wondering if they are out yet. I have been told early June is the time to do it, and this upcoming weekend will be getting close to that.

Full bloom along the Mass. Turnpike outside Boston, so should be starting in the Whites within a week.

Just an update with a question... I am planning to do this weekend, probably a Sunday sunrise. I've had Valley Rd in Jefferson recommended to me as a good spot where the mountains will be much more visible than at Sugar Hill. I have looked at this area on Google maps and it appears that there are a few areas with fields and houses. Due to private property concerns, I was wondering if anyone knows of specific places along that road where I wouldn't be getting in trouble for pulling over and setting up my tripod, and where I can basically get lupines in the foreground, big mountain (probably Adams or Jefferson) in background. Thanks.

Not trying to hijack the OP's regional preference, but honestly , a truly magnificent Lupine Show happens annually up in Oquossoc/ Rangely ME on Route 16.

There are some photo ops on that route that include Saddleback Mtn and the Lakes.

Breeze

Just an update with a question... I am planning to do this weekend, probably a Sunday sunrise. I've had Valley Rd in Jefferson recommended to me as a good spot where the mountains will be much more visible than at Sugar Hill. I have looked at this area on Google maps and it appears that there are a few areas with fields and houses. Due to private property concerns, I was wondering if anyone knows of specific places along that road where I wouldn't be getting in trouble for pulling over and setting up my tripod, and where I can basically get lupines in the foreground, big mountain (probably Adams or Jefferson) in background. Thanks.

I will vouch for that spot on Valley Road as well. I have parked on the side of the road many times and have felt comfortable doing so, but then again, I grew up on Valley Road and still maintain good friendships with the people there. Many people park on the old Carter Cutoff section and then walk. There is a little room by the bridge further east from where the fields are, then you just have to walk back. It is a great lupine spot.

I'd say lupines are at 10 to 20% in Sugar Hill this morning.
Lewis Hill Road in Bethlehem had more, if you're just looking for flowers.
Nothing at The Rocks Estate, never will be there per the Property Manager/Chief.
He says everything is 2 or 3 weeks behind normal right now.

Last edited:
Valley Road was sufficient. Very much so. I didn't really need a field full of lupines, just a cluster I could get really close to while viewing a scene in the background. At sunrise I visited the fields that were recommended to me, but the rain this morning was pretty much a killer for any hopes of dramatic light. However, the evening before, I checked out another spot on Valley Rd. It's very near the eastern end of the road, and there's a paved pull-off from Valley Rd that goes down to a T-shaped parking spot. There is a big field here, a man-made pond, and some odd pipes sticking out of the ground at one end. There were no posted signs but I'm not 100% sure this is open to the public, as there were also not any signs designating it a scenic view or park. Anyway, the flowers here were well beyond what I had hoped for. There were many purple lupines, but also large areas covered by these yellow flowers I couldn't identify. Mt Jefferson was shrouded in clouds, but as a plus, the underside of those clouds as well as the upper flanks of the mountain turned a very rich red as the sun went down. When I get around to processing these images, I'll be happy to post.