favorite 3-4 hour hike near Campton NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carla

Reaction score
Hi gang--I know some of you will have an opinion (ahem!). I have 3 hours to hike near Campton NH. Can you recommend some hikes that aren't super long, but still offer a workout of sorts? For reference, I hike about 2 miles an hour. I wouldn't want to drive more than 30 mins from Campton in any direction. Doesn't have to be to a peak, just something nice, scenic, etc.

Sounds like an old-time math problem: If Carla hikes 2 mph, and has 3-4 hours to hike within a 30 minute drive radius from Campton, NH, where should she go?

Thanks for suggestions!

--Carla

Hi gang--I know some of you will have an opinion (ahem!). I have 3 hours to hike near Campton NH. Can you recommend some hikes that aren't super long, but still offer a workout of sorts? For reference, I hike about 2 miles an hour. I wouldn't want to drive more than 30 mins from Campton in any direction. Doesn't have to be to a peak, just something nice, scenic, etc.

Sounds like an old-time math problem: If Carla hikes 2 mph, and has 3-4 hours to hike within a 30 minute drive radius from Campton, NH, where should she go?

Thanks for suggestions!

--Carla

That leaves tons of options for a 6ish mile hike in the area. If you've never done it, I would suggest checking out Fletcher Cascade. It's a nice hike in, and the falls are pretty nice. If you're looking for something a bit more challenging, then you could hit up Noon Peak on Sandwhich Dome. You can loop it with Drakes Brook.

If you have a car capable of handling Sandwhich Notch road, you could go hit up Mt. Israel. :)

I will check some of these out on my maps. I've hiked a lot in the Sandwich wilderness area (including the peaks), but not seen Fletcher Cascade. And I've done Welsh Dickey and Carr, but will look into Three Ponds and Mt. Kineo. Would love to do something new/different. Thank you!

Is Greeley Ponds Trail open from the Waterville side? Several small trails off Greeley Ponds to views and points of interest. Are the SLA trails within the 1/2 hour driving area.

Is Greeley Ponds Trail open from the Waterville side? Several small trails off Greeley Ponds to views and points of interest. Are the SLA trails within the 1/2 hour driving area.

AFAIK that work isn't going to be completed until mid summer, but someone may have more details.

Fisher Mountain (next peak over from Dickey) and Holderness Mt. Prospect are two more decent, shorter peaks in the area.

All good suggestions and I would add Jennings Peak going up the Sandwich Mountain Trail and down Drake's Brook. There are some good views southwest from it's sunny ledge.

Goodrich Rock is really cool. . Jennings Peak is very nice. Tecumseh can be done in 4hrs or less and I like that peak alot.

Hi gang-- I ended up doing the 5 mile Three Ponds loop. 2.25 hours. Perfect for the amount of time I had. Really lovely area--I need to find some resources to learn more about that area. Presumably old logging work hence the roads? Friendly hikers on the trail. Lots of muddy spots. Bugs--brutal. Note to self, do NOT forget the Deet!

--Carla

I need to find some resources to learn more about that area.

--Carla

This is belated, but get the WVAIA's excellent trail map for all the Waterville Valley hiking and XC trails - much more detailed than the the AMC map. You can get it at that real estate office on the north side of the road just as you enter Waterville Valley Village and resort. They also carry it at the bookstore in the Village, but charge a buck more.