Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I finished the 48 in New Hampshire! 12 Years of adventure. 5-25-2014

Made the false summit mistake my first time up there too. I'm always impressed when someone who is too far away to make day trips from home gets their list. Cabot wasn't my 48th on my first circuit but it is a special mountain to me. I woke up in the Cabin on Cabot every January 1st for 10 years in a row 1/1/2001 - 1/1/2010. Not very good grid progress when you hike the mountain on the same day every year
    Last edited by surf88; 06-11-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    Save NH Moose!
    MY BLOG

Quote Originally Posted by RollingRock View Post
    Cabot was last peak as well! Congrats! There is always another list to do and ADK 46 is a worthwhile goal.
    Hoping to have that finished in a few weeks. I have been working on it since 03' with a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Congratulations! So....... What's next?

New England 4K, NE 100, Catskill 35, ADK 46, Winter 48, CO 14's, South Beyond 6K, 52 WAV, Trailwrights, ..... Trail redlining, county highpoints, state highpoints......
    After the 46' in the ADK in a few weeks I plan to climb the 13 left in Maine within the next several years (I have Katahdin only here). I will have 102/115 (NE 111+fallen four in dax) so obviously I want to finish that. I am slowly picking at the state HPs and have about a dozen or so Sixers in the South. The CO 14'ers is definately something I will take a strike at if I live in CO, which is a possibility in the coming years. I may simply enjoy a lot of random hikes/climbs. Geographic spread is important to me and like like feeling in the gaps and holes of places I have not set foot. I frequently explore the high country in WV, one of my favorite places to go for a hike as well.

-Dom

Woohoo! Congrats to you!

Jay
    You must go and you must ramble
    Through every briar and bramble
    Till your life is in a shambles
    Maybe then you will know
    -"You Must Go" - John Hiatt

Cabot was our 48 finish with my kids. I'm picking a better one for my next child. haha. It is hard to explain the feeling to non hikers...but I understand! Welcome and congratulations!!!!
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking! Finis Mitchell

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom15931 View Post
    @TJsName: Hahaha. Good question. Bad weather days/poor planning back in 2005. I got North Kinsman from a partial trailess approach starting at Bridal Veil Falls and up over Cannon Balls. From there I snagged North Kinsman, but it was getting dark and I headed down knowing I would have to redo it again. When I did South I simply came up the route that goes from The Basin up over Kinsman Falls, and yes over North again.

Middle Carter is similar. I did it back in October 2005 acceding via the col between North and Middle Carter. I was just not feeling well that day. My usual hiking buddy was not with me and I left it for later, getting it in a rainstrorm with Carter Dome.
    Haha - that's awesome! That's a fun way to knock them out - I figured there would be some memorable stories as to why.

And 12 years isn't too bad. It look me 13 I believe, from Waumbec to Madison. Congrats on finishing - it is a pretty cool feeling.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by dom15931 View Post
    I will have 102/115 (NE 111+fallen four in dax)
    It's a common misconception that the discrepancy between 111 (name of patch) and 115 (number of peaks) is due to the four sub-4Ks in the ADK46. In fact, it has nothing to do with the Dacks; it's due to the addition of four peaks in New England (Galehead, Bondcliff, Redington, and Spaulding) since the list was first invented.

--

Cumulus

NE111: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2); Cat35: 27/39; WNH4K: 32/48; NEFF: 35/50
    LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
    "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
    - Lewis Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by Cumulus View Post
    It's a common misconception that the discrepancy between 111 (name of patch) and 115 (number of peaks) is due to the four sub-4Ks in the ADK46. In fact, it has nothing to do with the Dacks; it's due to the addition of four peaks in New England (Galehead, Bondcliff, Redington, and Spaulding) since the list was first invented.

--

Cumulus

NE111: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2); Cat35: 27/39; WNH4K: 32/48; NEFF: 35/50
    LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
    "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
    - Lewis Carroll

Wow...I'll second that. I let a handful of others know. Thanks!