northeast glastenbury, north glastenbury, branch pond peak 6/6/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 6/6/14

trails: snowmobile trail, bushwhack, long trail, bushwhack, branch pond trail, bushwhack

conditions: stratton-arlington road is in good shape up to the branch pond trailhead. limited roadside parking in a pulloff just east of the trailhead. signs near the long trail crossing and stratton pond trailhead state that the road is closed, but no issues up to branch pond trail. i had planned to bushwhack south up to the long trail from branch pond trail parking, but found there was a snowmobile trail leaving just across the road. the trail was pretty wet, but led in less than .5 to the long trail and continued along the east side of ne glastenbury. i continued to follow it for a bit before bushwhacking up to the summit area. woods were open, but decidedly wet with lots of low growth ferns and hobblebush. there are a couple bumps at the southern end of the summit plateau the most soutern of which is the recognized summit. i bushwhacked pretty much due west towards the long trail and luck found me in the backyard of story brook lean-to. the long trail was wet and a bit muddy, particularly around the beaver ponds, heading south. i followed it up to around 3k on the northwest slope of north glastenbury then bushwhacked up to the summit. fern and hobblebush laden woods, quite wet today, led up to the summit. i doubled back to the long trail and followed it back to the snowmobile trail branch pond trailhead. i then hopped on the branch pond trail and followed it to roughly its highpoint on the east slope of branch pond peak then bushwhacked direct to the summit. good going with a beautiful stretch of wide open ferns just to the north of the highpoint. back out the same way.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: a nice, but very wet morning. lots of great woods and interesting beaver ponds along the long trail. all summits were great, but branch pond was a real treat. the rain finally abated late morning after hanging on for most of the hike. beautiful area.

bryan

[email protected]

Last edited: