Snoring and staying at an AMC hut advice?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuck

Reaction score
Anyone run into the issue of snoring at an AMC hut. I have sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP machine. Can't really lug the machine up to the hut. Don't want keep the whole hut awake with my very impressive snoring. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Tuck

I'd need earplugs five feet thick. One reason I'm not a big fan of staying in huts.

I think some of the huts have ear plugs available. I remember seeing them in Miztpah last year.

I think some of the huts have ear plugs available. I remember seeing them in Miztpah last year.

Yes, they sell earplugs at all the huts. They help, to some degree, but it's all part of the hut experience. I've never stayed in a bunkroom in any hut (AMC, Colorado, Switzerland) that didn't have a snorer. If there was none, I supplied one myself.

Anyone run into the issue of snoring at an AMC hut. I have sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP machine. Can't really lug the machine up to the hut. Don't want keep the whole hut awake with my very impressive snoring. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Tuck

Just being aware of it puts you in better graces than most. :)

When I stayed at Gray Knob in April there was a snore war going on. It was my first time staying in a hut/cabin. Everything other than the snoring was great, and given the weather I was still glad to be inside! That said, knowing what I'd be paying to stay at the hut to be kept up by snoring, I prefer to stay in the woods and hear the sounds of nature. Of course, the huts attract all kinds of people (with varying tolerances), so I would say if you are self conscious about it, then look at staying mid-week when you're less likely to have a full house. You might also consider carrying a few extra pairs of ear plugs as a peace offering - it's a lot lighter than beer.

When camping with friends, I always bring earplugs for any who want them, and warn that they should seriously consider using them.

I haven't stayed at a hut, but I would do the same if I stayed at one.

A hut is definitely a shared environment, so there are caveats on both sides. But, as the "noisemaker" have you tried any of the traditional snoring preventions (such as sewing a tennis ball in the back of your sleep shirt)? It may not be as effective as CPAP, but it may help.

Depending on where you're going and when you'll be there, they might be able to put you in a bunkroom with fewer people if you let them know, but I guarantee you will not be the only one sawing logs :)

I learned my lesson about bringing earplugs early on. I was in a room full of women at Lakes, and I swear they were doing "call and response"! I wound up breaking into the display case to get a pair of earplugs (I paid for them the next morning).

I have OSA and will apologize in advance if I stay in a hut or shelter. Tuck, I'm more concerned for your health. If you skip a night on the machine, how do you feel?

BTW, it might be possible to take a CPAP on the trail if you really need it:

http://hdmusa.com/the-z1/

I have OSA and will apologize in advance if I stay in a hut or shelter. Tuck, I'm more concerned for your health. If you skip a night on the machine, how do you feel?

BTW, it might be possible to take a CPAP on the trail if you really need it:

http://hdmusa.com/the-z1/

Cool! I might start carrying one to wrangle any snooring people within earshot. :)

Yes, they sell earplugs at all the huts. They help, to some degree, but it's all part of the hut experience. I've never stayed in a bunkroom in any hut (AMC, Colorado, Switzerland) that didn't have a snorer. If there was none, I supplied one myself.

Who? me? Guilty as charged. Next concert at Zealand 6/21. Most snorers have a rhythm, I try and focus on that and then it doesn't bother me. I did have a guy once in a Hostel who snored and then once or twice an hour had a coughing fit. I'm a pretty sound sleeper/snorer but he's the only one to keep me getting up.

I spent a night in a hostel once where one of my roommates had a persistent cough; the other snored like a badly tuned chainsaw. Incredible! I was not a happy camper the next morning.

On another note, one night at the Shapleigh Bunkhouse, the guy in the bunk above me was banging out the most percussive farts I have ever heard.

On another note, one night at the Shapleigh Bunkhouse, the guy in the bunk above me was banging out the most percussive farts I have ever heard.

Hey, it's not an orchestra without percussion. Just be happy I (oops, I mean he, really) was in the upper bunk.

Yes, sorry to say, but this is why I never stay in huts if at all possible--for fear of the loud snorers!

The key to getting good sleep at a hut is to be the loudest snorer. Sounds like you have that covered, so consider it an evolutionary advantage that you shouldn't try to mask.

I cannot imagine going into the Wilderness and sleeping with 100 people.

Lakes is only 90 friends.... :D Okay, 90 is too much for me but Lakes isn't wilderness either. I do prefer the smaller huts and a couple have smaller bunkrooms.

Lakes is only 90 friends.... :D Okay, 90 is too much for me but Lakes isn't wilderness either. I do prefer the smaller huts and a couple have smaller bunkrooms.

I know lakes isnt in the official wilderness. But when my feet enter the woods, I consider it all wilderness, thats why I referenced in that way.

I know lakes isnt in the official wilderness. But when my feet enter the woods, I consider it all wilderness, thats why I referenced in that way.

I knew that but there was no snappy comeback for that In most cases I think of it that way also. (A few of the State Parks in CT but they are nice diversions too)