Baxter Bang for Buck

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBob

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a mid-September trip to Baxter to climb the 4K peaks there and a couple NEHH peaks. It would be a solo trip. Here's what I'm thinking:

DayWhatSpend Night At
1Drive upRoaring Brook Bunkhouse
2Katahdin(Baxter and Hamlin)Roaring Brook Bunkhouse
3Backup day for KatahdinNesowadnehunk bunkhouse
4North and South Brother, Coe, FortNesowadnehunk bunkhouse
5Drive home or backup day for bad weatherHome (or Millinocket if tuckered out)

Does this make sense? If not, what should I change? (I realize there is a recent thread on a similar topic, but I'd rather not hijack that thread.

Thanks

Bob

Last edited:
Looks like a great(ambitious) week, Katahdhin from Roaring Brook is a challenge regardless of route-count on a long day,if your weather works you could consider Doubletop on the way from Roaring Brook to Nesowadenehunk (south side) or directly from Nesowadenehunk (north side), great views, shorter hike between two long ones, good luck and have fun!

Looks like a great trip plan. I would recommend that if you have two days at Roaring Brook, whatever day you don't do Katahdin make the short but steep hike up South Turner Mountain. Incredible views of Katahdin. Have fun!

It's ambitious, but I'll settle for less. Another alternative would be to hike into Chimney Pond. That would turn down the volume some, I think.

Baxter and Hamlin? Avery is a couple of hours away on Bigelow. I think KSC bunkhouse is closer to the Marston Trailhead and closer to Roaring brook for the evening drive

Last edited:
I agree, that looks like a good plan. Last September, I ended a long weekend's visit by getting up early & hiking the Owl before heading home. If you're at Nesowadenehunk on your final night, at one of other West side campgrounds, you might consider this option if you still have the legs. Compared to Katahdin & the Coe-Brothers-Fort loop, it's an easy day, but what a spectacular peak.

An alternative to South Tuner, which I think is a great suggestion, or simply Chimney Pond, would be to head over to Blueberry Knoll in the North Basin.

It's doable, people do the Baxter, Hamlin loop from Roaring Brook. You have an off day or back-up day between the two big hikes. I'd try a couple of hikes like these a day apart to see how you would handle it. You could probably do a Washington, Monroe and Jefferson trip one day, do Middle Sugarloaf (the NH South Turner) and then do a Franconia Ridge Traverse to take the place of a Fort, Brothers and Coe loop.

I'd maybe look at late August if you can, although for reservations, September may be easier to get.

Baxter and Hamlin? Avery is a couple of hours away on Bigelow. I think KSC bunkhouse is closer to the Marston Trailhead and closer to Roaring brook for the evening drvie

Oops. I'm not that ambitious.

My wife and I did the same from a tent site at Roaring Brook. We preferred to stay at Roaring Brook rather than move the tent. It's a long drive over to the Marston trailhead but everything worked out.

Having extra days is key, we needed both of them because of the weather.

It's ambitious, but I'll settle for less. Another alternative would be to hike into Chimney Pond. That would turn down the volume some, I think.
That worked out very good for me last Sept. making the Baxter Hamlin loop shorter. ( http://1slowhiker.blogspot.com/2013_09_04_archive.html )
day 1 I was able to drive up from RI, drop some gear to claim a bunk at Nesowa- (I had overlaped reservations at CP and Nesowa- bunkhouses for the 1st 2 days), hike up to Chimney bunk house. Day 2 I was able to do Baxter & Hamlin, pick up my sleeping bag and gear that I had left at CP, finish hiking down and drive over to Nesowa before dark (but I did get a very early start from CP). The Brothers and Fort was a long and late day 3 for me , but I had gotten a late start (for me) and I am slow. Get your Nesowa reservations early, there are only 4 bunks. This is a great multi day hike (my favorite). Enjoy

Last edited:
Baxter and Hamlin? Avery is a couple of hours away on Bigelow. I think KSC bunkhouse is closer to the Marston Trailhead and closer to Roaring brook for the evening drive

Katahdin Stream Campground is closer, but the reservation system just shows tent sites and leantos there; no bunkhouse. Am I missing something?

That worked out very good for me last Sept. making the Baxter Hamlin loop shorter. ( http://1slowhiker.blogspot.com/2013_09_04_archive.html )
day 1 I was able to drive up from RI, drop some gear to claim a bunk at Nesowa- (I had overlaped reservations at CP and Nesowa- bunkhouses for the 1st 2 days), hike up to Chimney bunk house. Day 2 I was able to do Baxter & Hamlin, pick up my sleeping bag and gear that I had left at CP, finish hiking down and drive over to Nesowa before dark (but I did get a very early start from CP). The Brothers and Fort was a long and late day 3 for me , but I had gotten a late start (for me) and I am slow. Get your Nesowa reservations early, there are only 4 bunks. This is a great multi day hike (my favorite). Enjoy

Thanks, that blog entry is very helpful. But why did you have to overlap reservations at Nesowadnehunk and CP the first day, and drop off stuff at Nesowadnehunk if you had a reservation there? That bunkhouse seems special; none of the 'Reserver' buttons are available in the reservation system.

Thanks
b

Wise choice to use a bunkhouse in July, bugs can be thick and the local wildlife at the campgrounds can be aggressive at acquiring your food.

Thanks for all the good advice. Ten minutes on the phone with the nice reservations clerk and I am all set.

Be sure to bring cash for the park entrance fee. No electricity, so they don't take credit cards.