caps ridge tomorrow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
:confused: Should I call off tomorrows planned hike up the CAPS RIDGE TRAIL to MT.Jefferson because of the predicted light rain ??

Nope. There are sections where you'll want to be cautious if the rocks are wet, but they're not too bad and you can always bushwhack around them. The weather will gradually improve as the day goes on.

:confused: Should I call off tomorrows planned hike up the CAPS RIDGE TRAIL to MT.Jefferson because of the predicted light rain ??

I would change plans solely to save that trail for a nice day when the views can be enjoyed. It not dangerous in the rain, but it does have a ton of exposure (which is its main appeal in good weather!). No water crossings to worry about.

Last edited:
I would change plans solely to save that trail for a nice day when the views can be enjoyed. It not dangerous in the rain, but it does have a ton of exposure (which is its main appeal in good weather!). No water crossings to worry about.

I second this notion. Why waste an amazing peak on a wet, possibly viewless day? IMHO I would pick something in the trees and save an above tree line excursion for another day.

If you haven't done this ascent before you will be thankful later for saving it for a more weather friendly forecast.

Have fun this weekend either way,

Z :D

If you're set on Jeff, I'd opt for a late start and hope for clearing skies in the afternoon. If flexible, maybe save it for a "Pressie day."

Last edited:
Hi Richard,

I look forward to reading your trail report once you get back from whatever hike you end up choosing. I always like to give myself plenty of extra time in the event that something goes awry but Caps Ridge to Jefferson only shouldn't take too long, as peakbagger mentioned.

Have a good day out,

Z

I tried to get a later start in order to get some sunny weather,but my hiking partner had to be back early for other plans sat. night. I couldn`t go sun> because of fathers day. I bet the views would be spectacular. Another time. I still enjoyed this hike, especially the rock scrambles.