blue ridge mountain, north blue ridge mountain 6/16/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 6/16/14

trails: canty trail, bushwhack

conditions: limited parking on the roadside off old turnpike road about .7 in from rt 4. hiker symbol sign beyond gate and blue blazes mark the start. there is a trailhead sign about another .25 in where the trail enters the forest after on old camp. the trail was in nice shape. some minor mud, but good rock hardening and bog bridging done in what would be the muddiest spots. from the summit i bushwhacked north through decent confierous woods with some thick fern undergrowth down to the main col with the north peak at which point the woods transitioned over to more of a beech forest on a false bump. an old atv trail and very strong herd path ran through near the col to points unknown. in the next sag the woods again became more coniferous with one patch of blowdown and regrowth worth going around on the way to the highpoint. returning i decided to slab around the main peak of blue ridge to the east in hopes of picking up the remnants of an old road/trail shown reconnecting with canty trail on one of my maps. i had no luck and just ended up off course so corrected and eventually slabbed back around to pick up the canty trail back down. water crossings were not a problem. some bugs, but none too bad.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: real nice hike. some limited views from around the southern summit of blue ridge the best being on a side spur over rutland and down to the manchester area peaks. framed views to nearby pico and killington available from the summit proper. enjoyed mostly good woods off trail and found some remarkable game paths on the bushwhack back to canty trail. pretty hot by early afternoon.

bryan

[email protected]