AMC Huts (more specifically Zealand)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhobbs

Reaction score
Do the AMC huts have padding on their bunks or do I need to bring my own? I'm doing an overnight on the Bonds and my pack is already kind of heavy, I'd like to leave the air pad behind if I don't need it.

Sorry if this has been asked, I did a couple of forum searches and couldn't find an answer.

Thank you.

The AMC hut bunks have mattresses about 5 -6 inches thick. 3 wool blankets per bunk, and a pillow. I usually bring a light weight sleeping bag liner type item (cleanliness) and a pillow case. Is the hut your only overnight? If thats the case you can travel much lighter, i.e. not overnighting at Guyot campground. Meals at the hut, so just snacks, a few layers, basic toilettries, hydration and you are good to go! Enjoy!

The AMC hut bunks have mattresses about 5 -6 inches thick. 3 wool blankets per bunk, and a pillow. I usually bring a light weight sleeping bag liner type item (cleanliness) and a pillow case. Is the hut your only overnight? If thats the case you can travel much lighter, i.e. not overnighting at Guyot campground. Meals at the hut, so just snacks, a few layers, basic toilettries, hydration and you are good to go! Enjoy!

Thank you. That's one item I don't need. Yes just one over night, I've only got my sleeping bag, a change of clothes and shoes once I get to the hut, a pair of sweats and a pull over because it's supposed to drop to 46 degrees at night. I can probably do without the sweat pants. I should repack tomorrow morning and really think "do I need this". My pack seems pretty heavy as is and I haven't even put food or drink into it yet.

Thin but warm long johns...ala Patagonia midweights are awesome for warmth and low bulk, you'll see others in this...leave the cotton at home...gets damp in the mountain air. the huts generate warmth from the cooking..have a fleece hat, and gloves and you'll be surprised how warm the wool blankets will keep you. i lay one down underneath my sleep liner than use two for cover. the AMC site, I believe, has photos, also the Information volunteers at the front country lodges and back country huts are a great resource for trail reccomendations and lodging info. (disclaimer: I am a volunteer). If you are doing at over and back to the bonds and back to Z -hut, you can leave extra 'stuff' at hut and repack before hiking out, just ask the Croo where you can leave stuff.

I will repack tomorrow morning for sure. My buddy and I are spotting a car and hiking up to Hale then down to the hut. Spend the night and hike out to Lincoln Woods the next day. Long, but I didn't want the elevation gain on the way back.

Sounds like a good plan. the trail from Hale to the hut is far less travelled than Zealand Pond trail, it has beautiful hardwood sections. you'll have a looong day out from Z Hut to Lincoln Woods, but is doable, get an early start right after breakfast, hopefully you will have view worthy weather..spectacular area. If you are bagging West Bond, drop your pack on the spur, do grab a water bottle and quick snacks, the trail seems to take longer than you think it will. If you are bagging Zealand, drop your pack..super quick in and out. Take in the views from bondcliff cause after that it is all down hill and grinding out on the flats. Enjoy!

If you are bagging West Bond, drop your pack on the spur, do grab a water bottle and quick snacks, the trail seems to take longer than you think it will. If you are bagging Zealand, drop your pack..super quick in and out. Take in the views from bondcliff cause after that it is all down hill and grinding out on the flats. Enjoy!

In light of the rising number of human/bear interactions in the Whites, I respectfully submit that "dropping your pack" is no longer a great plan if said pack contains any food items or trash.

We all need to be proactive in slowing what I believe will be a real problem in the coming years.

Sounds like a great trip, which night are you in Zealand? I'll be there Saturday. Leaving the car at Hale Brook, walking the road and then up to the hut & if the weather is good, we'll walk up to Zeacliff. Sunday out over Lend-a-hand and back to the car. Planning on doing Middle Sugarloaf on the way out. (Hale will be 32 for all four seasons)

In light of the rising number of human/bear interactions in the Whites, I respectfully submit that "dropping your pack" is no longer a great plan if said pack contains any food items or trash.

Talking with the caretaker at the Guyot camp site last summer, she said she said there haven't been bears in the camp site in a long time. It's not worth the energy for them to climb that high up on the ridge for food. (We used the bear lockers anyway.) I would think that for the short time it takes to hike over to West Bond, dropping your pack at 4400 feet wouldn't be a great risk.

The Bonds hike is easily my favorite hike in the Whites! Worth the extra effort!

Talking with the caretaker at the Guyot camp site last summer, she said she said there haven't been bears in the camp site in a long time. It's not worth the energy for them to climb that high up on the ridge for food. (We used the bear lockers anyway.) I would think that for the short time it takes to hike over to West Bond, dropping your pack at 4400 feet wouldn't be a great risk.

The Bonds hike is easily my favorite hike in the Whites! Worth the extra effort!

Enjoy your trip mhobbs

West Bond's summit and view are amongst my favorites too. Small open area above the trees overlooking Bondcliff. Not great with a crowd but great solo or with a couple of people.

We all need to be proactive in slowing what I believe will be a real problem in the coming years.

I spoke with the caretaker at Guyot Monday and he said they hadn't seen any bears this year but they had a few last year. I dropped my pack and ran out to the spur. I was a bit longer than i thought and on the way back I was thinking about the food/trash in my pack and hopped I would not return to find my pack gone/trashed. It was fine. but I'm not so sure I would do it again. Bears will most definitely climb to over 4000 feet if there is easy food to be had. Its better to be safe than sorry, if they climb that high and go home hungry they are much less likely to return.