Owl's Head & The Bonds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsman

Reaction score
Dates: June 17 - 19, 2014

Trails: Lincoln Woods, Franconia Brook, Lincoln Brook, Owl's Head Path, Twin Brook, Twinway, Bondcliff, Wilderness

Trail Conditions: Franconia Brook crossing was a little challenging, but I was able to get across with dry feet 50 to 100 feet downstream of the trail. Lincoln Brook crossing was easy. There were some scattered blowdowns on the southern half of the Lincoln Brook Trail, but all were easy walkovers or "duck unders". At this time, a cairn marks the start of the Owl's Head Path (GPS N 44 08.2620 W71 36.9462). The path is steep and slippery, but obvious. The Lincoln Brook trail essentially disappears just north of the Owl's Head Path. I wandered back and forth looking for the trail before I stumbled on a bootleg campsite and discovered the trail not far away. The rest of the Lincoln Brook Trail was in surprisingly good shape, just a little muddy in places. I would "guesstimate" the obscure section of trail is about 1/4 to 1/3 mile long. I found the trail well before the Lincoln Brook crossing 0.9 miles north of the Owl's Head Path, so I would suggest bushwhacking along the east side of the Brook and occasionally wandering 100 to 200 feet further east from the Brook as the easiest way to find it. Coming from the north might make finding the start of the Owl's Head Path more challenging, but the Lincoln Brook Trail is immediately adjacent to the Brook at the cairn so if you bushwhacked along the Brook I think you would find it. The remaining trails were all in generally good shape except for a considerable amount of mud on the Bondcliff Trail below the second lowest Black Brook crossing.

Special Equipment: None

Comments: Bugs were a little bit of an issue at lower elevations and along the brooks, but not too bad. Higher up there was plenty of wind to keep them away. June 17 was warm and humid, so the exposed climb up the Owl's Head slide was hot and sweaty. I camped at 13 Falls Tentsite, which was a very nice spot; I was the only person there other than the caretaker. After thunderstorms overnight and with persistent clouds and howling winds on June 18, I elected to spend an extra night on the trail so I would be able to enjoy the views from the Bonds. Twin Brook was a nicely graded walk through pretty woods up to Galehead, while the climb up South Twin was its usual steep and slippery self on the still wet rocks. I spent the second night at Guyot Campsite, which was a steep and slippery descent from the Bondcliff Trail. It seemed quite crowded, particularly in the cooking area, with about 25 people staying overnight. I would guess it might be very crowded on nice weekends. June 19 was a beautiful sunny day and the views from the Bonds lived up to their reputation. It was a great way to complete my NH 4K list.

Jay Baxter

[email protected]