Laces On Side Of Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
It is time for me to replace my badly worn out hiking boots and I noticed that some of the newer boots and shoes, particularly running style and low cut models, have the shoelaces off center to the outside of the shoe (off the instep). Any idea what that is for? I assume it lets you wear tighter possibly without crushing your instep and cutting off circulation? Seems like a weird design. All I can think about is grinding the shoelaces and knots off on rocks, hooking the laces on tree roots, etc on the rough terrain of the Whites.

Just curious if anyone had noticed and what the logic for that might be.

Sounds like they are trying to eliminate lateral movement but thats just a guess. I was curious what your looking at for boots? I'm in my second pair of Merrill Wildernesses. Before you think they are anything like regular Merrills, I assure you they are not. They are very similiar to Limmer's. They are hard to find and not cheap ( around 275.00 ). I found mine of all places in the hardware store in Gorham. They are one piece full grain leather and have the best vibram soles you can find. Actually Limmer just resoled mine and the sole he put on is the best Ive ever seen. These boots are the best for the Whites Ive ever found, great on rock and comfortable as heck. I get 10 years or so from them, but I wash and treat them like a religion.

I bought a pair or of the Asolo Fugitive GTX boots two years ago. They were a great boot but I have almost 600 miles on them and the stitching is starting to separate in many places and there are some holes in them so they are no longer waterproof. Soles are pretty worn too. Probably going to get another pair. I've tried a few kinds of Merrill boots. The first model I destroyed in less than 100 miles (which stunk because they were very, very comfortable).