Manitou Mountain & Anthony’s Nose – 6/21/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
My friend Bruce and I decided to hike something a bit more local this weekend. Since I haven’t climbed much in the Hudson Valley, Anthony’s Nose seemed like a good choice. This turned out to be a gem of a hike with lots of viewpoints along the ridge.

There are 3 parking lots that one can use to access the Nose. Two of them are very close to the "summit" and the hikes would only be a few miles round trip. So we chose the “Toll House” parking area which would make the hike 3.3 miles each way, or 6.6 miles round-trip. Not a very long hike, but the total elevation change is over 2000 feet so it was a nice, little work-out.

Another advantage of starting at the Toll House is the abundance of views to the south along the Hudson River. Indian Point can be seen, as well as distant cliffs over the river, (the northern end of the Palisades). All of these viewpoints would be missed if one climbed Anthony’s Nose from the other lots, …. unless of course the hike we did was done in reverse.

The weather was spectacular this weekend, …. again, …. and the humidity was low, …. so the views were not hazy like they typically are in the summer. With all the viewpoints, I would highly recommend doing this hike on a clear, dry day ….. or in the spring or fall. Winter would be nice too (any hike is good in the winter, right?).

Photos

PS - Does anyone know the origin of the concrete footings on Anthony’s Nose? Was a firetower located here at one time? Or another structure?