OMG! What is up with Rodents...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstrider

Reaction score
Chewing up my tent.:eek: I am beginning to feel like I somehow contracted bad karma with the rodents. :confused:

I have had two separate incidents in two widely spaced areas where while I was asleep a rodent of some kind came and chewed up the netting of my tent. One was in Harriman in 2011 and most recently in the Catskills. Only the netting was attacked- which seems very odd. In this last "attack" the critter actually took away the pieces it chewed off from the side panels, leaving huge and gaping holes.:mad:

Now, I do have a pet cat (but no mice or other rodents as pets) and I have a theory that the rodents are reacting to the cats scent. But I have always had a cat. This is a new tent, an alps mountaineering that I've owned 4-5 years. Maybe they make their netting from something rodents like to eat;).

So- what does the community say? Ever have this happen to you? How do I stop it? Mothballs in the tent, attack cat- has to be something I can do. Wash the tent with something? Help.

Odd! Mice will often chew up or carry off material for nesting, but they are usually pretty random about it.

Is there ANY chance that there are food odors on the material?
Is there a chance that you were camping in an area where mice were very concentrated (perhaps due to indiscretions by previous visitors)?

I think they make some "bitter flavored" sprays you can put on materials to repel pests. I know there are repellant garden sprays for dogs (those stink pretty badly) but there may be something for mice too...

I usually camp at large and not where others may camp, except in the first "attack". I don't think that it is mice doing the damage. I think it was a chipmunk and a red squirrel.

The tent does go into the backpack along with the food bag, so there might be some contamination. I don't know. Will try washing the tent and packing it in a separate plastic bag.

I usually camp at large and not where others may camp, except in the first "attack". I don't think that it is mice doing the damage. I think it was a chipmunk and a red squirrel.

The tent does go into the backpack along with the food bag, so there might be some contamination. I don't know. Will try washing the tent and packing it in a separate plastic bag.

Any pics of the damage?