Owls head trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
I`m staying at vlg. at loon mtn. resort in a couple of weeks, and am considering hiking to Owls Head solo. i`d like to know if the trail from Lincoln woods is marked well enough and if it`s easy enough to follow? I have a map,but should I still be concerned? Any information would be appreciated. I`ve done 22 of the 4 k`s so far, and I know that some trails are more clearly marked than others. thanks.

The trail up the slide is not an "official" trail, so the intersection with the lincoln brook trail won't be marked with a sign, but it's usually pretty obvious. The rangers seem to have abandoned the idea of erasing all trail markers, which they've attempted in the past. The trail itself isn't hard at all to follow, though it's steep enough that folks with vertigo should avoid it. More info here:
http://www.summitpost.org/owl-s-head-path-west-slide/165816

I've done Owl's Head solo. The main trails to Owl's Head "spur" (Lincoln Woods, Franconia Brook, Lincoln Brook) have very obvious foot beds and are extremely easy to follow. There is a small area just before junction of Lincoln Brook Trail where trail leaves the obvious path and meanders through a wet area and leaves river on a steep muddy area that might be slightly confusing. Very close to the Owl's Head spur there are some small brook crossings where staying with the path is a little vague but not bad. The path up the slide is also pretty easy but there are a few vague areas on the ledges. Maybe the worst part is finding the true summit. There are literally dozens of routes wandering all over the top of the ridge but they seem to all end up in the same area. If you pay attention in these spots it is fine. You sound like you have enough trail experience where you won't be fooled.

And as I'm sure you have already read there are two potentially difficult/dangerous river crossings on the way. If it has rained or is forecast to rain you should monitor the water levels closely. It is a good idea to bring a pair of water shoes/sandals/whatever to take the difficulty out of the crossings. The crossings in question are only 0.4 miles apart so it is pretty easy to put the water shoes on at first crossing and keep on until you clear 2nd crossing. There are several popular bushwhacks for these crossings but I have never taken any of them so I can't comment on that (there are numerous threads on VFTT discussing though).

Check out this site for the latest river data for the East Branch of Pemi: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nh/nwis/uv?site_no=01074520

Depending on who you ask the "safe" water flow is generally 500-700 cfs. The day I did it was around 500 cfs and I chose to wear water shoes. It probably could have been hopped if I looked around for awhile but given the length of the hike I did it to save time and avoid any mishaps rock hopping. Was nothing much more than knee deep the day I did the crossings.

This is the beginning of the unofficial Owls Head Slide Tr. Pretty hard to miss. At least this is what it looked like in June of 2013. And as said, the rangers seem to be leaving these markers alone now.

P6010242.JPG

Thanks Guys. Very usefull information. :) Joe , Excellent blog. I`ll add it to my favorites.

The biggest challenge is keeping track of stream crossings on the west side of Owl. Not sure why but many folks lose track and look for the turn way too early. The spot for the turn off the trail is incredibly obvious. Many folks take a break there and thus the ground and the terrain is very well beaten down.

The path up the slide usually has several threads that weave in and out. They all get you to the same place. The slide is loose in spots and care should be taken. Once the slide runs out the herd path is quite obvious to the "old" summit. The walk to the new summit along the ridge also was threaded a few years ago, the various options all end up at the same place but some are bit brushier than others.

The biggest challenge is keeping track of stream crossings on the west side of Owl. Not sure why but many folks lose track and look for the turn way too early. The spot for the turn off the trail is incredibly obvious. Many folks take a break there and thus the ground and the terrain is very well beaten down.

I'd second that. I thought sure I must have missed the turn when I finally came upon the rock pile on side of trail (there were no log railings when I did it). No doubt there are plenty of people on VFTT with the GPS coordinates for the turn if you carry a GPS.

Thanks Guys. Very usefull information. :) Joe , Excellent blog. I`ll add it to my favorites.

I've had the Rainbow Trail on my radar for awhile now as part of some sort of loop in that area and your blog photos got me all fired up to do it now. Looks like it was quite a walk. May have to bump this hike to the front of the list!

Leading a trip to Owls Head 19/20th. Does anyone have a gps track (that would ideally show Black Pond bushwhack and 'true' summit')? I've been there before, and used Black Pond bushwhack... but a gps tack as backup in case of issues would be nice.) Also if anyone else has thoughts about 'safe' flow levels to cross the brooks that would be appreciated. Hate to get everyone together, hike that far in and say 'Oops'. (Found gps tracks on wikiloc, so all set for that!)
Also if anyone has legal camping suggestions for anywhere near Owls Head Path, i.e., along Lincoln Brook Trail they would be appreciated. The only place I know adds a bit of extra hiking, and we won't be using the illegal sites right at the base of Owls Head Path.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I was there about 10 years ago, and my impressions were that the marked trails were easy to follow, the last (2) stream crossing lacked a bridge and were a little challenging (with my short stature and huge pack) and that the foot of the herd path to Owls Head's summit itself was marked with a cairn about two or three feet height. A well worn path leads you to the summit, first up a steep section up along a slide and then into the wooded summit area. You will come to a small "bump" that is a false summit, keep going and the true summit will appear in about .2 mi. (just a rough estimate, Tom Rankin, before you correct me with GPS readings and book quotes) I well remember the summit was marked with a hand carved "vertical" sign. I wonder if it is still there.

You will need to leave the marked trail and cross a small stream to get to the start of this herd path to the summit. So many people go that I deferred to the footprints when in doubt (but I carried a map, compass and description with me in a zip lock baggie). It is not maintained so you may have to crawl over downed trees. I guess you don't have to take this herd path- I think that the winter route goes up the southern end.

I remember how beautiful this entire area was. Wild flowers, huge erratics in the streams, Franconia Falls was a marvel. Wish I had had a camera. OMG...I need to return there this summer!

Just remember that as much as this area will feel like true wilderness, it is well loved and well traveled so I would camp away from the trails unless you enjoy company.

I think a lot of folks these days miss out on the full hike by taking the Black Pond bushwhack year round. I personally like to do the full approach via the trails.

I think a lot of folks these days miss out on the full hike by taking the Black Pond bushwhack year round. I personally like to do the full approach via the trails.

Agreed. If water levels are manageable the crossings add to the experience. The trails are easy and your time will be about the same. Owl's Head Path is not too difficult to find in the summer if you know what to look for. The above picture is as n excellent reference. It's about 10 minutes after the last crossing depending on your speed. Just follow the wear on the ground. Then the fun begins.

Last edited:
GPS locations:

Summit N 44 08.6619 W71 36.2942
Cairn at intersection of Owl's Head Slide with Lincoln Brook Trail: N 44 08.2620 W 71 36.9462

I have a GPS track (DeLorme GPS), but I think it is unnecessary. The herd path is really quite obvious. In June, the Lincoln Brook Trail was quite easy to follow to the start of the Owl's Head Slide, but it became very obscure immediately north of the junction.

Jay Baxter

[email protected]

It's always fun to go different ways to vary the experience. You can go in on the trail and then take the fisherman bushwhack on the way out. (follow the brook downstream until you reach the Franconia Falls trail) No coordinates needed, the brook is marked, in this case you walk next to the trail (water) not in it.