Owl's Head~Lincoln Woods, Black Pond whack, Lincoln Brook, Slide, Franconia Brook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biji

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 30 JUN 2014

Trail Conditions: Lincoln Woods to Black Pond dry. Black Pond bushwhack distinct at both ends, sketchy in the middle, but dry. Lincoln Brook in good shape, some mud in what I suspect are the usual places. Managed to rock-hop all crossings, carefully, with (mostly) dry feet. Junction with the slide spur distinct with cairn and white birch blocking LB trail to north. Rubbly, gravely slide dry in lower reaches, with some wet spots below spring, which was running and water available. "New" summit easy to find via meandering herd path.

Special Equipment Required: None, poles helpful for water crossings.

Comments: Had the good fortune to meet up with Tom and Lisa at the Pemi bridge, and enjoyed their companionship for the whole day. We started at 9:45am and finished at 9:15pm, without needing headlamps. Bugs were a minor annoyance around Black Pond, pestiferous at the "summit," and obnoxious on Lincoln Woods in the evening. I bonked on the slide, probably from not eating enough due to the heat, but recovered. Met a kindly fellow just above the slide who was going to take the Brutus Bushwhack down. He gave us detailed directions, but we missed the jumping off point. Managed to descend the slide without leaving any skin in the game in half the time it took to ascend. We opted to take Franconia Brook Trail on the return, thinking the longer trail might be faster than the whack back to Black Pond, but in retrospect I don't think so. After some scouting, Tom found a rock-hoppable crossing of Franconia Brook 50 yards below the normal trail crossing. All said and done it was nice to serendipitously make new friends with avid, accomplished hikers, and tally 45/48.

Brooks
[email protected]