Scale recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KauaiGuy

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a handheld type scale to weigh my pack and contents? I'd like a scale that I can hold or hang from a hook or tree branch that weighs up to 30 lbs + and has oz. measurements to compare light weight items. Mechanical preferred. Thx.

How about two scales?

Rapala, Mustad, and Etc. make mechanical tube scales for weighing fish. This kind of scale has a handle that can be hung on a tree or simply just held in your hand. This would be great for weighing a full pack at the trail head. However the scales are usually lbs and I'm not sure how accurate this type can measure ounces. They usually come in 30lbs and 50lbs limits.

For weighing small items in ounces you might try a portion control scale. The type used in kitchens to weigh out food portions. These are table top units, and not something you'd drag to camp (or maybe you would?) This type is also mechanical.

I usually just weigh myself with and without my pack, then subtracting the latter from the former I determine my pack weight (and consider a healthier diet!)

Hope this is a step in the right direction.

After a fair bit of looking, I chose I chose this scale. It's really easy to use with a backpack, has a great weight range (0-110 lbs in 1/10th increments), weighs just an ounce or two, and is easy to read. Esp. if you lead groups (very active AMC leader here) and want to help people on the 'sensible packing' front, this is an indispensable tool. And perhaps most crucial for the style conscious among us: you can choose your color! :p

Alex

Last edited:
I've used a fish scale from WalMart. LL Bean also sells a luggage scale.