Only have a short window this year - any suggestions for a weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiffae

Reaction score
Last year VFTT was incredibly helpful in planning a 5 day backpacking trip in the Whites, and now I'm back for more! This time unfortunately I have a much more boring and generic question.

Due to family issues and work this year I won't be able to take any days off work, so our trips will be limited to a Friday post-work departure and a Sunday return. We've done a few of these trips (Drive out late, camp at a campground, hit the trails early Saturday AM) and are ready to do that again. I think the Whites are just a little too far, since we won't be getting out of town until around 6PM. We're planning on going mid-late September.

Can you guys recommend a good overnight backpacking trip within a reasonable drive from NYC? The whites were a perfect trip with regards to difficulty and payoff, but 12-14 combined hours of driving (considering weekend traffic) just doesn't make sense for 24 hours of outdoors. Obviously that close to the city we don't plan on gaining any major elevation, but views/peace/wilderness are a must. We're also open to paddling rather than backpacking.

We're obviously not restricted to New England, I'm happy to field northern NY suggestions as well. Can those be suggested in this forum or should I do a similar post in the NY forum?

Thanks for your time!

There are tons of camping and hiking options in the ADKs and Catskills. And the Catskills WILL give you gain 'major elevation', if you want it! :D

If you want suggestions, I'd say Woodland Valley Campgorund, and do Wittenburg, Cornell, (Slide), or on the other side, Panther and Giant Ledge.

Edit: Oops: I see you want backpacking options. There are lots of leantos in the Catskills as well. They are first come, first served, so bring a tent.

Mink Hollow, Devil's Kitchen, Devil's Acre, Diamond Notch are all along the Devil's Path. Some of the steepest mountains in the Catskills.

Batavia Kill leanto works for the Blackheads.

There are several leantos around Balsam Lake Mountain.

Last edited:
Thanks! We're not necessarily seeking steep as a requirement, more seeking the maximum quality to be found in a short weekend trip. Am I reading the rules right that you can hike out the giant ledge and camp on the ledge? That sounds nice!

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

You can do that. There are a few sites up there off trail. Make sure you follow all the rules, as the Rangers have been known to show up bright and early, ticket book in hand!