Whiteface & Passaconaway, Saturday - 7/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Change of plans..... SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS

Hike on Saturday, 7/12??

Whiteface & Passaconaway loop from the Ferncroft trailhead.

I normally hike a moderate pace, which is book time or a little more.

Anybody interested?

Reply here or message me for timing details.

Last edited:
I always seem to be busy or working when you hike. In the event our shedules line up and I can join you, do mind if my dog comes along?

I never met a dog I didn't like.

Didn't Will Rogers say that, or something similar?

I'm fine with dogs, and well-behaved dog owners.

:)

Change of plans....

I have decided the forecast for Saturday is ideal for some exposure and too good to spend on Whiteface & Passaconaway (I'll visit this pair later in the month).

I'll head to Franconia Ridge and hike Lafayette and Lincoln on Saturday instead. I will hike from the OBP/FWT trailhead, but most likely I'll park at the hiker lot at Lafayette Place on southbound I-93.

I normally hike a moderate pace, which is book time or a little more.

Anybody interested?

Reply here or message me for timing details.

:cool:

I can't come up this weekend but I will be keeping an eye out for the WhiteFace hike....I need East Sleeper too, I believe it's really close to Whiteface??

East Sleeper is a relatively easy walk from Whiteface. No views, but the trail over goes through an amazing number of cleared blowdowns.

I didn't think it was was bad when we did this. We are planning to do the same route again this time around.

If Whiteface and Passaconaway alone aren't enough, and you have the ability for a car spot, a great dayhike is Tripyramids, Sleepers, Whiteface, and Passaconaway from The Kanc (Pine Bend Brook to Oliverian Brook). It's a very easy car spot.

(18.7 miles and 5550 feet of elevation gain)

East Sleeper is an easy add on to a Whiteface Passaconaway loop via Downes Brook trail and the "abandoned" Downe's Brook Slide trail.

Here is a link to a discussion on the Slide trail. http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?41375-Abandoned-Downs-Brook-Slide-Trail-Passaconaway

Please note the comment that it is slippery when wet. Having done this route a few times, it is quite easy to try to break out on the upper slabs too early and they can be very slick due to algae. The former trail bed tends to stick in the woods to the left of the upper slabs when descending eventually crossing the lower slides once and then sticking to the right side of the slabs and outlet brook. The big "pool" at the base of the slabs was still in great shape last summer.