3day/9 peak Pemi hike, how are the trails?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaner

Reaction score
Going to do Bondcliff, Twinway, Garfield Ridge, Franconia Brook, Lincoln Brook, and Owls Head Feb 25th-27th. Going in on the Wilderness trail. Particularly concerned whether the Franconia Brook trail from Garfield Ridge to 13 Falls is broken or unused, as well as Lincoln Brook trail from 13 Falls to Owls Head Slide. Secondarily wondering if any one has hiked the Twinway from Bondcliff to Zealand Spur or is that trail unused? The other trails should be ok?

as well as Lincoln Brook trail from 13 Falls to Owls Head Slide

We didn't see any sign of traffic ( Feb 22) on the Lincoln Brook trail north of the base of the Owl's Head slide, but there is a lot of drifting that may be concealing a hidden packed trail (?) Happy trailbreakin'! :D

use caution

I did a very similar trip to the one you are planning about 3 weeks ago.

The first advice I would give you is to be prepared for a difficult time trying to find and stay on the Lincoln Brook trail north of the Owl's Head slide. The trail is not well marked/blazed, and chances are it has not seen much use. If it is not broken out, be prepared for a rough time trying to stay on trail. It can be done, but I'm just saying it probably won't be fun.

On my trip, I ended up also having to bushwhack the Franconia Brook trail from Garfield Ridge down to 13 Falls campsite, which was a little disconcerting but not terribly difficult. This area also doesn't have that many blazes.

I hope you have warm gear and clothing. I read that the temp is supposed to get down to -10 on Saturday night! Good luck and may the Force be with you! ;)

Although I haven't been up there in almost 3 weeks, I wouldn't worry about the water crossings. It has been pretty darn cold up there lately and they were fine while I was there in 45 degree weather.

Franconia Brook Trail

FBT doesn't see much traffic and has most likely got 36" of snow (unbroken) on it. Pretty tough if you are breaking trail on day 3. Last year Suebiscuit and I had to bushwack down to 13 falls from Garfield. I remember it was pretty hard going. Plus I didn't eat enough so running out of power. That is one of the coolest hikes in the Whites though.