Andrew Thompson breaks NH48 speed record

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflea

Reaction score
I realize this was already reported in the FKT thread but it really deserves a thread all it's own IMHO.

Andrew's breaking an 11-year-old record is phenomenal. Ever since he came out and helped Frodo and me on the inaugural 2003-04 winter NH48 record, I've been wanting to see AT take a stab at the overall time. After breaking the record on the Appalachian Trail a few years ago (subsequently broken by Jennifer Pharr-Davis), goofing around on the Barkley course down in the backwoods of Tennessee (one of only a few to finish "the 100 miler"), and becoming a father, he finally got around to the NH 4000 footers.

He had a stellar crew consisting of a few familiar names on the FKT site. He did have some less-than-ideal weather to contend with which surely cost him some time.

His time was 3 days 14 hours 59 minutes.

Indeed - very well done by Andrew and his crew! Huge congrats for pulling it off in such a mixed bag of weather.

I haven't met Andrew, but had a feeling he was a phenomenally tough character just from speaking with him briefly on the phone. The forecast didn't even seem to be an issue to him, it was more like ..." Oh , some rain and thunder....that's interesting".

Words of a True Hardman.

It's great to see a renewed interest in this event...let the next contestant step forward for their 4 day bodily thrashing! ;)

So what is the mileage and elevation gain for the route? Because my mind isn't already blown enough...

I am not sure about the accuracy of our 11 year old notes, but we had 184 miles and 62,400'+-.

Your Mileage ( and experience along the way) May Vary.

Cool notes! I'm wondering how Andrew did Cabot now that the Mt Cabot Trail access is technically closed. Is it faster to juts go across the Weeks then to come back down and drive around? Any idea what his official route was?

Indeed - very well done by Andrew and his crew! Huge congrats for pulling it off in such a mixed bag of weather.

I haven't met Andrew, but had a feeling he was a phenomenally tough character just from speaking with him briefly on the phone. The forecast didn't even seem to be an issue to him, it was more like ..." Oh , some rain and thunder....that's interesting".

Words of a True Hardman.

It's great to see a renewed interest in this event...let the next contestant step forward for their 4 day bodily thrashing! ;)

Tim I've seen you a few times over the years give heartfelt congratulations and encouragement to anyone who eyes your records. Very classy!

An amazing physical accomplishment to be sure. I like to go as slow as possible so as to not miss all the sights, sounds and smells. When someone runs by me on a trail I wonder why, why why :)

That is a great read. thanks for posting the link, Tim.

I like to go as slow as possible so as to not miss all the sights, sounds and smells. When someone runs by me on a trail I wonder why, why why :)

Just because someone is moving at a fast clip do not assume they are missing out on all the sights, sounds and smells. Heck, by moving fast they get to enjoy even more sights, sounds and smells!

-Chris

The Eternal Question - What Are Mountains For?

Just because someone is moving at a fast clip do not assume they are missing out on all the sights, sounds and smells. Heck, by moving fast they get to enjoy even more sights, sounds and smells!

Definitely. Some of my most amazing photo journeys have been on long mileage days.

On the other hand, if you are going simply for speed and blazing along at 4 mph+, yeah, that's a little beyond flower-sniffin' speed. But that's fun sometimes too.

There will still be days to sniff flowers and write poetry on quiet summits. And there will be days to haul ass. And it's all good :)

When someone runs by me on a trail I wonder why, why why :)

In the same way a trail can be beautiful and enjoyed on a "relatively microscopic" level going slowly and enjoying the details, doing big miles and looking back 20 miles at where you've been and looking ahead toward where you are going provides a "relatively macroscopic" view and experience that is equally beautiful. Don't knock it until you try it.

Chris, Tim, Maineman, All excellent points. Slow down and say hi when you run past me. Tuck

I tend to think that if someone is enjoying themselves in the mountains, then they are probably doing it right. Endurance runs might be more type 2 fun, but fun never the less. As long as type 3 fun is avoided, then all is well.

There is more than one path that leads to the summit and more than one speed at which to proceed. The path that leads to happiness is the one to follow.

There is more than one path that leads to the summit and more than one speed at which to proceed. The path that leads to happiness is the one to follow.

Well put. Although it should be noted thay the footbridge to happiness has been removed by the FS.

I do speed hikes on local trails to compare to previous times to use as a evaluation of fitness levels. Occasionally, I relax and put my watch/cell phone away and take a relaxing walk in the woods. I do admit to "timing" myself on Monadnock last weekend, but I still took the time to clear many water bars (and deducted a reasonable amount of time for each one I cleared. Kind of like "stoppage" time in soccer! :) At the end, I readjusted the stoppage time upwards as I couldn't have been that slow!!!!

P.S. The Dublin Trail needs better water bar clearance than I could do with my shoes and ski poles.

Well put. Although it should be noted thay the footbridge to happiness has been removed by the FS.

I thought that thread was closed just like the bridge. Never let others control your path to happiness. When they take away the bridge, learn to swim or better yet, learn to fly.

I thought that thread was closed just like the bridge. Never let others control your path to happiness. When they take away the bridge, learn to swim or better yet, learn to fly.

Ha! Different bridge - although I think I know of the one about which you speak. In that instance, fording the waters of adversity can be billed as a character-building experience, (or much more if you get hurt)! :)

However you do it, have fun. And keep this in mind (sorry if I've posted it before, but it's a great piece to keep in mind when thinking about how someone else is enjoying something (http://xkcd.com/1314/)).