Trail Magic on Bear Mountain - 20 July 2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the fourth year in a row Connecticut Valley Atheists sponsored trail magic on the summit of Bear Mountain, the Appalachian Trail's highest point in Connecticut. Paul and I came up Undermountain Trail, bringing up a cooler full of peaches, nectarines, plums, apricots, cherries, and lemonade, along with some doughnuts.

We spend several hours hanging around the summit handing out magic. The only through hiker we met this year was Bumble, a NOBO who started from Springer on May Day. There were also at least seven long distance section hikers, though, a group of four NOBO women, another group of two NOBO woman, and a SOBO man. As usual, there were also lots and lots of day hikers.

Although it had clearly rained recently when we started, we saw none of it, and it was mostly sunny all day.

After all of the lemonade, most of the fruit, and all but one doughnut were gone, we hiked back down.

Here are the pictures.

--

Cumulus

NE111: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2); Cat35: 27/39; WNH4K: 32/48; NEFF: 36/50
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

Good doing, Cumulus. A friend of mine and I were just north of you Saturday, traversing from Mt. Everett Road parking area near Mt. Washington Road to the north end of Race's Cliffs, then down to my car from the saddle between the two peaks via Race Brook Falls Trail. We saw about 10 thrus - must be why you saw so few Sunday. I think it rained Thursday and Friday, and yesterday was mostly cloudy, so everything's still wet. The brook and falls were the highest I've seen in summertime.