Catskills 2/26?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
Trying to decide what, if anything, to hike on Saturday. I'm doing a 3500 Club hike to Lone/Rocky on Sunday, so I may just save my energy. I'm also mulling over some other options for Saturday.
I'd like to finish my 35 on West Kill soon, but would prefer another car, so as to do a traverse, w/o the road-walk at the end. I also still need a lot of Catskill winters, and I'm interested in maybe SW Hunter, Rusk, Balsam Lake Mt, Graham or a few others. Any interest in these of any other Catskill hikes for this Saturday?

Matt

Hi Matt - Join us on Saturday for a Dix traverse! As for your 35er completion, I'll bring the car, just tell me when. Since I have the 35er Catskills bug, any destination you mention is interesting to me. -ED

Ed, thanks for the invite, and it is tempting, but I'm going to have to pass. Money's really tight for me right now, and even with cheap lodgings, other stuff like gas, tolls, meals out, etc. add up. I kind of need to keep it close to home for a while. Also, the hike itself might be a bit much for a High Peaks newbie such as myself. Remember, I haven't hiked up there since I was like, nine, or something, and never in winter. I will keep you in the loop about my West Kill plans if I don't do it this weekend, though. And of course I look forward your future Catskill visits. You could probably finish the 35 in another weekend or two. :D
Also, I do plan on finally getting up to the High Peaks in the not-to-distant future, and it would be cool to hike w/ experienced ADK hikers... :D

Matt

1) Pick up one of those free DEC catskill guides
2) Go to the local bar, bring said map to bar with some tape
3) Tape map up to dart board
4) Fling dart blindfolding, somewhat in the direction of the map, after asking bar patrons to run for cover.
5) Hike the nearest 3000 ft'r to said dart.

;)
Jay

Matt,

I have to check with the spouse, but I would be interested in hiking on Saturday. Would be happy to spot a car for Westkill. But IMHO, finishing your 35 on Westkill would be more fun in the spring. I would be happy to do any of your winter peaks, since--as you know--I'm not working on any lists.

Halite said:
I would be happy to do any of your winter peaks, since--as you know--I'm not working on any lists.

Wow! There's at least one other person besides me not working on a list!

I'd love to hit the Catskills this weekend. I'm sort of comitted to go to the Whites at least one day and I don't think I could pull off a double in NY and NH. Maybe soon.

Matt: Let me know about West Kill -- I could help with that Car Spot. I plan to do a lot of Catskill hiking in the Spring.

-Wu

matt, i 'd like to do westkill with you but i'm heading to the adk's this weekend. saturday 3/5 sounds good for me if you go then. keep us posted. tony

Okay, I'll put off West Kill for at least another week. As for Wu's comment about the lists, I'll just say I like hiking w/ you non-list guys, since there's no issue of trying to match up needed peaks w/ somebody else-you guys are up for anything!

Jay-I'm so indecisive this week that I may just try your map-on-dartboard peak-selecting technique! Anyhow, the matter at hand...
Halite, that would be outstanding if you could make it over to the Catskills Saturday. How about Balsam Lake Mt./Graham?
I know this would be a long drive for you, so if you wanted, we could meet at the New Paltz park-and-ride (Exit 18, NYS Thruway) and I could drive from there. 7:30 at the park-and-ride would have us on the trail by 9. I'll pm you my # in case we can't make plans in time through this website.
Wu, I'll pm you as well, in case you decide to make it a two-state weekend after all.
The rest of you, guys, I'll definitely keep you in the loop vis-a-vis West Kill.

Matt

I will in the Catskills this weekend. Probably on Sun (2/27). Might hike Balsam Lake, Slide or BlackHead. I tend to start hikes late (11 AM).

Balsam Lake and Graham sound great. I could meet you at the park and ride at 7:30 and we can ride together. I have no problem with driving from there (I've day tripped to north of Boston for a sea-kayaking trip. It's amazing how easy it is to put in the mileage driving if the goal is an outdoor venture) I'll pm you with my cell phone # so we can make the connection.

Halite-that's great. I'll see you in the AM, and I look forward to the hike.

Wu- I saw where you posted onto an NH trip, so I know you won't be w/ us-see you next time.

Rivet-Halite and I will probably decide which peak to hit first on the way there, but if we climb Graham first, maybe we'll meet up w/ you on Balsam Lake Mt.
I hope everybody out there in VFTT land has a safe and fun weekend...

Matt

Matt -- I've actually bailed from that Trip. Indecesive me. I'm hiking on Sunday in order to be home with the lady on Saturday.

I probably won't hit the Catskills until April sometime (except if it's for West Kill, then we'll see) when the Mud Season starts up here. Then I plan to do some really solid hiking either in the Catskills or the Taconics for quite a while.

I may try to do Dorset in the Taconics next week. Up to the summit and then down on swiss bobsleds via. the snowmobile trails. Interested?

-Wu

PS. I don't dislike list people! I don't even dislike the lists. I'm just not doing anything because they make me nuts! :D :p