Taconic Crest Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmitch

Reaction score
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49239558@N04/sets/72157645596321459/

The Taconic Crest Trail (TCT) is a 36 mile linear trail that straddles the border between New York, Vermont, and Massachusetts. The southern trailhead is along Route 20, the northern trailhead is at Route 346. Most backpacking trails of this length in New England and New York generally have a lot of information, however, there is very little information available on this trail. There is a trail guide and maps available through the Taconic Hiking Club, but it seemed the guide was dated and the maps were a little rudimentary.

Regardless, a friend and I decided to hike it recently, willing to venture into the great unknown. The guide recommended we hike south to north, so that is what we did. Both trailheads were relatively easy to locate.

We parked along Route 20 and headed north through the Pittsfield State Forest. The trail was well-marked with white diamonds on a blue background. I believe backcountry camping is not permitted in this state forest.

The TCT to Berry Pond was a very nice woodland hike. The trail was well graded along the contour of the land, passing small streams, hemlock forests, Twin Pond, a bog with a large beaver dam, and finally Berry Pond. The TCT crossed the Taconic Skyline Trail, a legal ATV/multi-use trail. There was no ATV impact on the TCT on this section. Berry Pond is a beautiful spot, and is also a primitive campground accessible to cars. The pond is the highest natural body of water in Massachusetts. A nice vew was just to the north of the pond.

North of Berry Pond the trail was nice, with one spot that was easy to miss. An obvious blue blazed trail continues right, but the more overgrown TCT went straight. As we continued, the trail went through overgrown fern meadows with pickers. The trail became more brushy, but a footpath was generally perceptible.

A long descent followed to an old gravel road. A nice roadwalk followed through Hancock, MA with great views of farms and fields. We saw a man walking his cow. After the roadwalk (which was less than 2 miles) we got some water since the northern sections of the trail are drier. A steep and long ascent ensued. We reached the top of the ridge and the condition of the trail degraded, following sidehill through ferns and brush. In other places, ferns inundated the trail. We then reached an ATV trail which the TCT follows off an on. The ATV trail is unofficial or maybe illegal, but seems to dominate the TCT. In some places the ATV trail kept the brush down, or had minimal impact on the trail, but in most places it created mudholes, ruts, and erosion. This was a defining characteristic for much of the trail. The TCT left the ATV trail in places, but always came back to it. The ATV trail combined with the incessant pointless ups and downs (PUDS) really made us frustrated. The PUDS were non-stop as we negotiated steep descents and ascents over loose rock and gravel.

Established camping was virtually non-existent, although there were places to pitch a tent, usually in the cols between the PUDS. Several side trails joined from the left, usually marked yellow. To our surprise, water heading north was fairly sufficient as we passed two small streams. As we headed north to Berlin Mountain, the trail became increasingly drier, and we began to grow worried.

We became so tired of the TCT, we thought about just finishing it and hike into the night. But that was not possible, so we focused on getting to Berlin Mtn. The TCT climbed steadily, passing through some nice spruce forests, and then reached the open, alpine-like summit. It was beautiful, but only the second view of the entire hike after hiking about 26 miles. There were no views to the west, but there were views to the east, with Mt. Greylock rising prominently. Berlin Mtn is the highest in NY, outside of the Adirondacks and Catskills.

Sore, dirty, tired, and frustrated, we just went to bed early. The gnats also didn't help.

The next morning, we were treated to a spectacular sunrise as storm clouds spread from the west. Clouds and mist hung in the valleys below.

The hike to Route 2 was easy, but with more ATV impacts. We missed a turn and added 2 miles to our hike. Keep an eye out for where the trail turns right during the descent down to Route 2. Route 2 had some views and a large parking area, but the storms were approaching with clouds covering the mountains and thunder in the distance.

We were very concerned about water, with no decent source north of Berlin Mtn. We entered the Hopkins Forest owned by Williams College. Here, the trail improved greatly with more nice woodland hiking and scenic forests. Luckily, we found a small spring flowing from the base of a rock on the right side of the trail. We climbed, passing some views to the left from meadows and glades. If only the whole trail was like this. The rain soon came, but I didn't bother with my rain jacket. The rain felt good on my skin, washing away the sweat, grime, and blood from the pickers. There was some heavy downpours and lightning. We took the side trail to Snow Hole which was not all that impressive, but it was neat to see a random crevasse in the forest. The heavy rain did not allow us to check it out more, or take pictures.

North of here, the ATV impacts returned as did the PUDS, although they weren't as bad as the day before. There was one steep climb along a precipitous forested slope. I didn't see any reliable water sources. There was one view to the east, but it was socked in. The descent to Route 346 was long and very steep in places, all impacted, amazingly, by ATVs considering the very steep terrain. In places it was muddy, wet, eroded, and rutted. It was a very frustrating hike down. There were some small streams, but by that point, there was little need for water. The trail meandered around a field, descended steeply again, and reached Route 346. It was finally over. Sadly, I don't think I was ever so happy to be done with a trail.

The TCT is not worth backpacking. Some parts make for a decent dayhike. The sections between Route 20 and Berry Pond, and Hopkins Forest, were the only places with the consistently best trail. The TCT from Hancock to near Berlin Mtn is not worth hiking.

This is too bad since the TCT has potential, but its route has been compromised. It is a surprisingly isolated trail. Besides Berry Pond, the trail only crossed one road and one nice roadwalk. Much of the forests are nice, if not typical hardwoods. Scenically, the trail only offers 5 or 6 views, 2 ponds, one bog, and Snow Hole over 36 miles. The numerous PUDS and intense ATV impacts, together with no good backcountry camping, and drier conditions as you head north, really impedes backpacking. The trail as a whole is rarely hiked, one register was last signed over a month ago.

Hopefully, the TCT can find a future as a backpacking trail. Otherwise, it is mostly a multi-use illegal ATV trail. Sorry I couldn't offer a more positive trip report.

Having hiked the TCT for years I have a different perspective.
The DEC is doing its best to lessen the motorized impact on the 30 mile trail. On only a small portion are they a real problem. The worst is the area just south of Petersburg Pass. The issue is the woods roads rising to the trail from private property. The local JPs levy slap-on-the-wrist fines on their friends, neighbors, and relatives who take ATVs and snowmobiles on the trail. With increased scrutiny, this problem will gradually diminish.

One can focus on the small percentage of the trail feeling this impact or enjoy the 30 miles of gorgeous trail in autumn, the spring wildflowers, summer ferns and shade, and great xc skiing and snowshoeing.

And in just a few weeks The Taconic Hiking Club will have a brand new, double sided map of the entire TCT. I've seen the prototype and it's beautiful.

ATV impacts were extensive on the TCT, from north of Hancock to Petersburg Pass. ATV damage returned north of the Hopkins Forest. In some places, the ATV use kept down the weeds, ferns and briars, but there were extensive ruts, erosion, and mudholes. From my hike the other week, this was in no way a small percentage of the trail.

The TCT has potential, and hopefully it will be realized.

Agree with your second paragraph. When I read your O.P. my impression was that this was the first time you'd been there and not in optimal conditions.