New Hampshire 200 Highest and New Hampshire 300 Highest Lists

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You seem to have used this note chiefly to bash so-called select cabals and the views they espouse
That's quite a revisionist statement. As a reminder, here's the original post.

apparently some of the notes you most disliked were posted by somebody who is also a member of VFTT.
The filth in the canisters has been written by a number of individuals and has targeted quite a few as well. Frankly, some of the notes belong in the hands of law enforcement.

If you don't care anyway and don't want to help, maybe it's time for you to leave it alone.
I'm assuming from your earlier posts that by help, you mean you want me to be your carrier pigeon. If that's the case, then no, I'm not interested in that role.

The front page of the web site has an e-mail address contact. As noted by another poster, they are prompt and professional in their e-mail communication.

Pretty simple...an e-mail of interest to the hiking community was sent to a distribution list that I'm a member of. Golly, the thread started of in a positive manner too..
Hopefully you will be able to give us all the instructions on the Secret Handshake for obtaining this list.

I wonder what John Muir would make of this thread.

( I'm going to bookmark it in case anyone ever asks me why I don't do "peakbagging")

>You seem to have used this note chiefly to bash so-called select cabals and the views they espouse

That's quite a revisionist statement. As a reminder, here's the original post.
I believe that "chiefly" is appropriate as posts #24, 30, 37, 44, 46, 58, 60, 64, 75 outnumber #1

The filth in the canisters has been written by a number of individuals and has targeted quite a few as well. Frankly, some of the notes belong in the hands of law enforcement.

I agree that illegal statements should not be made in peak registers, how many did you report?

I'm assuming from your earlier posts that by help, you mean you want me to be your carrier pigeon. If that's the case, then no, I'm not interested in that role.

I offered you the opportunity to post a consistent list on your website since I have no confidence that Bryan would even if submitted, but apparently you want to rave about cabals instead of providing useful information

And you seem to have no problem making one-way deliveries :)

( I'm going to bookmark it in case anyone ever asks me why I don't do "peakbagging")
You just go ballistic when someone suggests that NH48 speed records should be done by the rules of the organization that made the list and have been accepted by thousands of people, instead of by some rules invented by a guy from out of state (that you denigrate in the "48" movie) that have been followed by a handful.

You just go ballistic when someone suggests that NH48 speed records should be done by the rules of the organization that made the list and have been accepted by thousands of people, instead of by some rules invented by a guy from out of state (that you denigrate in the "48" movie) that have been followed by a handful.

If by "going ballistic", you mean mercilessly mocking the feeble attempts of a handful of people ( ok, person) to enforce a set of rules on an event which has nothing to do with their hiking organization, then, yeah....guilty.

Something which is actually consistent with my general thoughts about "peakbagging" as a method of exploring mountains - that it tends to attract people with a somewhat regimented and authoritarian bent. People who like lists and rules and people doing things by the book. THEIR book.

The ridiculous back and forth on this thread certainly reinforces that perception as accurate.

Hi Tim,

I would first like to admit that as "laid back" as some people perceive I am, the truth is I am in fact a pretty type A personality.

That being said, I agree that there is a rigidness on certain lists, criteria, and rules that leans farther to the extreme of type "A-ism". This is in no way a backhanded remark to the other contributors on this thread, but what I find most interesting is the deafening silence of so many frequently posting members on this particular thread. Not everyone has been silent but a lot of people have made a single post and opted to steer clear of this conversation (myself included until today).

Maybe some of us should just agree to disagree at this point.

Hike what you want and be happy about what you accomplish. FWIW and all that ;)

Be well,

Z :D

Hi Tim,

I would first like to admit that as "laid back" as some people perceive I am, the truth is I am in fact a pretty type A personality.

Ah-hah! One of the stealthy types!

I shouldn't have painted with such a broad brush - it's more of a sub-set of the peakbagging world that I have issues with. I also think you are right about the lack of response by many members on this thread.

There are plenty of people who engage in it who somehow retain their humanity ( I kid, I kid) , but like a powerful drug, it can take over your psyche, and suddenly you find yourself arguing over maps and lists and canisters and secrecy and who did what first... instead of just enjoying being on a mountain somewhere. And that's a shame, isn't it?

I'm not exactly a regular poster these days and have in fact made a modest contribution of one post to this thread already. There are, however, plenty of perfectly honorable reasons for even the most frequent posters to sit this thread out. They could have no interest in any version of these Lists. I don't, even though I already had at least one of them - the secret, official version I got a few years ago from a highly official source, at a time when I still thought I was interested in completing same. Shortly thereafter, I came to my senses and realized that redlining, not peakbagging, is my true calling. (It seems that "just hiking" isn't quite enough for me - no doubt one of my many character flaws).

Then there is a more general reason to eschew such threads. As Cicero or some other guy in a toga may once have remarked:

Noli contendere commingendo contra Mephitem Mephitem.

A few guesses:

“I am losing precious days... I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truly get into the heart of the wilderness. All other travel is mere dust and hotels and baggage and chatter."

"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life."

Thinking he would probably tell everyone to go for a hike! :rolleyes:

" never wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it "

yeah, but sometimes you wake up next to a fox ;)

it's about time someone posted something people can get angry about ... we were running out of reasons to hate each other ...

Ah-hah! One of the stealthy types!

I shouldn't have painted with such a broad brush - it's more of a sub-set of the peakbagging world that I have issues with. I also think you are right about the lack of response by many members on this thread.

There are plenty of people who engage in it who somehow retain their humanity ( I kid, I kid) , but like a powerful drug, it can take over your psyche, and suddenly you find yourself arguing over maps and lists and canisters and secrecy and who did what first... instead of just enjoying being on a mountain somewhere. And that's a shame, isn't it?

http://xkcd.com/1095/

:)

If by "going ballistic", you mean mercilessly mocking the feeble attempts of a handful of people ( ok, person) to enforce a set of rules on an event which has nothing to do with their hiking organization, then, yeah....guilty.
I have no problem with Kenyans showing up and winning the Boston Marathon if they have the ability, but I see no reason to allow them to decide to shorten the course in perpetuity long after they're gone. I feel the same way about Cave Dog.

Based on the '48' movie, you don't think Cave Dog should show up and win a New Hampshire event but you have no problem with him telling us what rules to use. Do you feel the same way about Kenyans?

Something which is actually consistent with my general thoughts about "peakbagging" as a method of exploring mountains - that it tends to attract people with a somewhat regimented and authoritarian bent. People who like lists and rules and people doing things by the book. THEIR book.
Peakbagging has fewer rules that organized running, and no waivers required :)
http://www.wakelydamultra.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=4&Itemid=16

even bowling has more rules, which may be why it's promoted by lawyers :)
http://www.rulesofbowling.com/What-are-the-Rules-&-Regulations-of-Bowling-&-how-do-you-play.php

I believe that "chiefly" is appropriate as posts #24, 30, 37, 44, 46, 58, 60, 64, 75 outnumber #1
In the past few weeks alone, you've taken to VFTT to specifically defame multiple people by name (either by trying to disqualify a mountain accomplishment or criticizing their apres-hike work). At least Dean Martin's bashfests were catered.

I agree that illegal statements should not be made in peak registers, how many did you report?
The targeted individuals are aware of the statements discovered to date and threats and can do as they please.

I offered you the opportunity to post a consistent list on your website since I have no confidence that Bryan would even if submitted, but apparently you want to rave about cabals instead of providing useful information
Your offer in post number 11 was for them to delete the 'bogus' list in order for you to help. In post number 50, you approximated a 10 peak difference. Your most recent post was post number 114. If your intention was for the list to be inclusive and accurate, simply listing the missing peaks would have saved a lot of time (I would suggest that most working on or reposting the list would hike any known omitted peaks for completion's sake).

Instead, you've been trashing Ed and Bryan (and others), even going on to publicly state that Bryan had never responded to you (when in fact you had never even contacted him) and then saying you have no confidence in him. I have no confidence in your intentions of trying to improve the list. While I respect your hiking accomplishments, I feel like publicly communicating with you in this thread at this point is partaking in virtual dumpster diving.

In the past few weeks alone, you've taken to VFTT to specifically defame multiple people by name (either by trying to disqualify a mountain accomplishment or criticizing their apres-hike work).
Maybe some things are better left inside a remote canister after all :D

I also think heroes cannot suddenly turn into victims :confused:

Moderator Note
OK, everyone step away from the keyboards and go for a hike. Let's everyone calm down and play nice.

I have no problem with Kenyans showing up and winning the Boston Marathon if they have the ability, but I see no reason to allow them to decide to shorten the course in perpetuity long after they're gone. I feel the same way about Cave Dog.

Filed under : Ridiculous Analogies

There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas

Can I get a look at the NH400? ;)