Adirondack Road Plowing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Climbing Wookie

Reaction score
Last weekend in the Catskills I had to park about a quarter mile from the Black Head / Black Dome trailhead b/c my rear wheel drive hooptie refuses to drive on an iced road. Which got me to thinking...how far down each of the secondary access roads in the Adirondacks (i.e. Corey's, Tahawus to Upper Works, and Elk Lake Road) gets plowed? I am planning to hike in from Corey's this weekend and I am aware that the gate is closed near Stony Creek but if they don't plow to the gate then it would be an even longer approach hike to the summer trailhead given that my car does not do so well on snow.

Thanks for any info!
C. Wookie

Last weekend the Elk Lake road was plowed to the Clear Pond gate, this is standard in winter from what I understand. Coreys was plowed to the bridge just before the summer trailhead last winter and the road to upper works was also plowed to the trailhead last winter- I believe this is standard.

Warren,

Thanks for the info. I could just see me driving to the trailhead access road only to be turned away. My hiking partner (aka girlfriend) would not be all to pleased at my lack of adequate preparation.

But from what you are saying it sounds like I should be able to access all of the secondary trailheads.

TGIF - that means its time to go outside.
Wookie

Climbing Wookie said:
...my rear wheel drive hooptie refuses to drive on an iced road... Thanks for any info!
C. Wookie

RWD cars may be problematic heading into the Corey's bridge, even on the access road to the winter gate in Corey's. I know I would have a hard time if I drove my Mustang up that road. Extra weight in the trunk may help you, but we've had fresh packed snow on most roads for the past week. Last year we skittered around in a Explorer so be careful! Good luck in there.