N. Twin, S. Twin, Galehead, & Garfield, 8/1/2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
August 1, 2014: Garfield Ridge Traverse – Twins to Garfield

Trails: North Twin Trail, North Twin Spur, Twinway, Frost Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail, Mt. Garfield Trail

Summits: North Twin, South Twin, Galehead, Garfield

Hikers: Dolores Maienza and me

A little ahead of plan, Dolores and I met at the Mt. Garfield trailhead to spot a vehicle and head to the end of Haystack Road for the hike. We were both generally ready to go when we reached the trailhead lot on Haystack Road, grabbed our things and set off. We had pleasant cool conditions and no biting insects at all. What a nice surprise.

North Twin Trail is clear sailing all of the way to the first crossing. At that point we stayed on the right bank of Little River and followed the herd path past the bottom end of Fire Warden’s Trail and the second crossing. From there we stayed on-trail and followed it to the third and final crossing of Little River. When we arrived at the third crossing we met another hiker preparing to wade across. We continued upstream a short distance where we located a combination of exposed rocks and logs that enabled us to cross with dry feet.

After a brief conversation with the other hiker we started the climb to North Twin. We leap-frogged each other a couple times but finally Dolores and I passed the other hiker for the final time. Climbing North Twin is a long test for me. It’s steep enough and long enough without any real breaks in the climb to require some breaks to bring the heart rate down. I’ve been told by many people they don’t mind the stops but I still find them very frustrating. Oh well, we took what we could get from the mountain and didn’t force anything. Eventually we were standing on the summit in a little under book time. That was a good start, but it was only a good start. I felt good with it but there was a lot more ahead in our plan for the day.

Next target was South Twin. This short jaunt is across a relatively mild trail between the peaks with a steep descent from North Twin and a relatively gradual climb to South Twin. Along the way we passed through the area of the blowdown patch where someone made a mess with blue paint a couple years ago. I’m happy to report it’s weathering nicely, and pealing from the rocks and trees where it was left. Unfortunately, some of the hand prints are still very visible.

We hit South Twin enjoying filtered sunlight and hazy views with a light breeze (more insect control). There I got a few view pictures and the usual summit shots with Dolores and me taking turns at the controls. I think we may have even stopped for a quick snack before continuing down the very steep and rocky descent to Galehead Hut.

The trail down from the summit of South Twin was clear and generally dry. Along the way we met a large group of 20-somethings heading to Mount Washington (eventually) and a few others. We managed to stay vertical all the way down with no problems slipping or sliding as I recall. We arrived to the hut and stopped for another quick snack, deciding to re-load with water after we visited the summit of Galehead.

The trip to Galehead from the hut is a quick one mile round trip. On our way up we stopped at the viewpoint briefly and then finished the ascent. About as fast as we visited the viewpoint we visited the summit, got a couple pictures, and started back to the hut (the only thing on the summit of Galehead of interest to us was the check mark). Roughly fifteen to twenty minutes later we were at Galehead Hut re-loading with water. With a fresh water supply we were ready to take on Garfield Ridge Trail and all the Puds that were there waiting for us.

Garfield Ridge Trail is a rough trail that really beat me up on my first visit. Now I know what to expect and the trips across are much less difficult (the stressful mental part has been removed by experience). We settled into a generally steady pace and just hiked. Roughly half-way across to Garfield there is a viewpoint where views back to the hut, Galehead, and the Twins can be enjoyed. It shows a very tough route along the ridge from the hut. Views along the trail are very limited but the ones we enjoyed were good ones. We also had the pleasure of meeting a good number of through hikers along the way. All seemed to be in very good shape and great spirits.

We made our way over a few more Puds and soon arrived to the junction with Franconia Brook Trail. That milestone always makes me feel good. I know we are starting into the home stretch to Mount Garfield; it’s only ~.9 miles and 1100 feet in elevation. A great deal of the elevation is jammed into the second half of the distance. There’s a treat along the way; the spring at the Garfield Ridge Campsite. Crystal clear, ice cold, mountain water. The stuff is great! I can’t pass the place without loading up. From there it’s a short .4 miles to the top.

We arrived to the summit and found the place vacant; a benefit of weekday hiking. This time around we enjoyed the views for a time and then found a place open to the sun but sheltered from the steady breeze where we relaxed for a few minutes and enjoyed the day, and a snack. What a terrific day it had been. This was the first time Dolores and I had met and hiked together. I know Dolores was staying below her normal hiking pace for the day by hiking with me, but I hope she was able to enjoy the traverse as much as I did.

Soon, it was time to go. We started down from the summit behind a couple other hikers that had arrived while we were having our snack. They were continuing across to Galehead Hut and we were following Mt. Garfield Trail down to the vehicle we left early in the day. The top third of the Mt. Garfield Trail is pretty rocky but it gradually improves and the lower section is a more pleasant descent. We generally just walked and eventually made it to the three crossings low on Mt. Garfield Trail. We took the “standard” approach across the first one. On the second one we went a short distance upstream to cross which placed us on a herd path bypassing the third crossing and dropping us again on-trail. From there to the waiting vehicle was an easy cruise through a section of mainly mature pine.

We reached the trailhead, Dolores changed into comfortable footwear, and we were on our way to Haystack Road and the other vehicle. There were a couple additional vehicles at the N. Twin Trailhead but the place was quiet. I transferred my things from Dolores’ van to my truck and said our good byes. Dolores was on her way a few minutes ahead of me.

Thanks Dolores, I had a terrific day on one of my favorite hikes and hope you did too.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:)