Beta needed for bushwhacking Owls Head from the North

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamW

Reaction score
Hey folks,

My friend Mike Henrick wants a gentler descent from Owls Head than the slide or Brutus. Has anyone tried to bushwhack down the northwest ridge or up from thirteen falls? I did a search and didn't come up with anything, which surprised me. Any beta would be appreciated. Thanks!

Upon repeating the search with different spellings, I did come up with one thread from 2005, which indicated that it could be done but was quite thick. Anyone tried it?

I expect you saw my trip report on the bushwhack from the east. What surprised me was the historical images on Google Earth indicated hardwoods up to about 3000 feet which normally implies fairly open woods. In actuality there are the remnants of a birch canopy with underlying softwoods that were thicker than expected. I expect it may be remnants of the white birch mortality after the ice storm of 98 which opened the canopy up. When sitting on the slide looking west there is a lot of dead white birches visible on the slopes.

Good luck if you attempt it

Last edited:
Hi Pam!

I've done a bushwhack from the summit but ended up about a 1.5 miles from thirteen falls. From the summit I went NW at about 10 to 11 o'clock. After initial thickness for a few hundred feet the rest was an easy to moderate whack with a gentle grade, too. I remember there being no swimming involved through thick stuff, just rotting or dead trees and mossy grass hiding some ankle busters between rocks and roots in spots.

Have a fun adventure off Owlie!

-Chris

I've done a bushwhack from the summit but ended up about a 1.5 miles from thirteen falls. From the summit I went NW at about 10 to 11 o'clock. After initial thickness for a few hundred feet the rest was an easy to moderate whack with a gentle grade, too. I remember there being no swimming involved through thick stuff, just rotting or dead trees and mossy grass hiding some ankle busters between rocks and roots in spots.

Have a fun adventure off Owlie!

-Chris

Thanks Chris! Yup, that's the line we were looking at (although I am an advisor not a participant, as I'm heading to CA in a few days for some family time and then hiking/backpacking in Sequoia/Kings Canyon.)

And thanks too, Peakbagger!

I have done half a dozen bushwhack routes on Owls Head, my feeling is that they are better in winter when snow covers the rough ground. The NW ridge has been done on skis.

Maybe 40 years ago the whole Pemi area was birch glades that grew up after logging and fires and was great for bushwhacking, unfortunately the climax vegetation for the area is apparently spruce which is growing in as an understory and not necessarily apparent from a distance.

The NW ridge has been done on skis. Maybe 40 years ago the whole Pemi area was birch glades that grew up after logging and fires and was great for bushwhacking, unfortunately the climax vegetation for the area is apparently spruce which is growing in as an understory and not necessarily apparent from a distance.

Neat! Alas though, that certainly isn't in the cards as an option for skiers today! I hiked up the ridge from the LB Trail height-of-land last October. The lion's share of the route was indeed very moderate terrain, not overly thick, and with some almost-grown-in logging roads to enjoy. The situation does change, however, for the final 1/4 to 1/3 mile, which is at altitude and nearly level: spruce city.

Exploring the eastern side and southern end is in my to-do list.

Alex

Last edited:
Thanks Alex and Roy. Mission was accomplished without too many scars ;)