You know might be addicted to hiking...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I re-read through these posts (all of them :eek: ) and think, “You people are addicted!” :p

…and I can totally relate.

Because I have done more work on trails in the last few years than I have in my own yard. But that’s okay because when we moved and I landscaped I purposely choose plants that could survive on rainwater and sunshine ‘til the snow falls.

I built my back steps to resemble stone steps on the trail and I don’t shovel them I ‘break them out’.

I wondered what was I doing when this thread got started and have no problem finding out – check my journal. Yep, I was hiking.

And for those times I need to carry a purse – it’s a leather backpack. It just feels right somehow. :)

I heard about this thread but never saw it. Little did I know that it was started by my friend Ridgewalker :cool:

I know I might be addicted to hiking because:

1. I have been trying for years to put two rock cairns with white trail blazes at the end of my driveway. My wife doesn't think it is a proper adornment, however :confused:

2. When a friend at work was giving me a hard time, my instant response was, " Keep it up and I will shove a trekking pole up your a$$". He looked at me rather quizzically.

Regards,
Marty

marty said:
I heard about this thread but never saw it. Little did I know that it was started by my friend Ridgewalker :cool:

I know I might be addicted to hiking because:

1. I have been trying for years to put two rock cairns with white trail blazes at the end of my driveway. My wife doesn't think it is a proper adornment, however :confused:

2. When a friend at work was giving me a hard time, my instant response was, " Keep it up and I will shove a trekking pole up your a$$". He looked at me rather quizzically.

Regards,
Marty

number two is d*** funny

And also this sign of a true addict, you know the last place to poo in a civilized setting near every trailhead you're gonna do this winter so you don't have to freeze :eek:

...it takes over an hour to get ready for work, but you can pull together the essentials for a hiking trip in under 2 minutes.

...when you are injured, and the doctor says, "No hiking for 6 months," you have to give your boots to your neighbor because you are afraid, in a moment of weakness on a REALLY, REALLY nice afternoon, you will lack the self-control to stay off the trails.

...your neighbor takes your boots so that you won't hurt yourself again.

...when you go to work on Halloween "dressed up" as an AT thru-hiker (the one day out of the year when you can actually go to work dressed normally!)

(yep, all of these are real)

Hehe, this is a great thread :)

bunchberry said:
(this little anecdote can apply to any old/broken/painful piece of gear, by the way) :)

...When you buy new hiking boots because your old ones were really hurting your feet, but you can't bear to actually get rid of the old ones. You think about all those memories with the painful boots, some incredible hikes, great places, and suddenly, you wonder if they were really as painful as you thought they were?? Probably not. (Yeah, they really were!!) Then one day your husband finds the old boots and says "didn't you get new ones and weren't these the ones that really hurt you?" and you say "oh, they didn't hurt THAT much, I'm keeping them as backups." You start defending the painful boots to him, then to yourself, until one day you've convinced yourself that they really weren't so painful after all so you take them out on a hike - yep, painful, and you vow to get rid of them as soon as you get home. So you get home, think about getting rid of them, and...don't - because you might need backup boots someday. (Cycle has been known to repeat after enough time goes by.)

:) - katie
Could never throw out my old hiking boots--use them to enhance my porch.
They now great me when I enter the house. An old WWII ice ax with the house number hanging from it is stuck in the tree at the entrance to the driveway. Can't get away from reminders of my passion.

You have a sock drawer specifically for your hiking and backpacking socks.

You keep your outdoor clothing neat and organized so you're ready for the next hike but could care less about the order of your work clothes.

You build fort knox in the basement to keep all your gear safe and in one place.

You never unpack your trunk after hiking and always find unidentifiable food whenever you decide to clean it out.

Your friends tell you that you're trying to turn them into an outdoors person because you keep referring them to REI or EMS...well...what else is there.

You can drive to the ADK trailheads without having to look at a map.

Getting laid off wouldn't be such a bad thing because you spend more time hiking, backpacking, browsing VFTT, etc.

Last edited:
This thread is scary. This stuff is all me and I am proud of it. I got a few

When your wife says that the woods are my first wife.

You dont fit in hanging out with non outdoor people.

Your biggest decision for the day is where you are going to hike today ot what activity you want to do, climb, ski, snowshoe etc...

You find mistakes in maps

roadtripper said:
when you've written down a list of baby names that have some sort of outdoorsy theme...and you're seriously considering using one of them

If you have three kids, you can split up noted mountaineer's name George L. Mallory to: George, Leigh, and Mallory.

You might be addicted to hiking if....

*you help others finish each others lists
* propose a degree in "hiking theory"- the concepts of footing and general climbing
*It takes you nearly a week to pack away all your gear, even if it's dry

roadtripper said:
when you've written down a list of baby names that have some sort of outdoorsy theme...and you're seriously considering using one of them

LOL...
I pushed for "Bondcliff" for a middle name for boy # 2 - I had to settle for "Craig" - which to me is just a mispelling of "Crag" Camp! :)

You're listening to a book on tape set in present day and in one scene the main character is perusing the library from an estate that's been in the family since the 1500's. I reacted in horror and disbelief when the character pushed aside maps of the area from that time as boring :eek:

Maps? Boring?? Obviously, a real person would never react this way!

You keep pressing the weather links....trying to change the forecast..this actually works..:rolleyes: ..sometimes...:eek:

You hate shopping.....except for hiking gear and garments.. and can't stay away from the "discount" rack...and can't stop buying ..jackets...

You donate clothing....but Never... your hiking stuff.....

You keep all your old boots...just in case... ;)

You have over 38 hiking jackets ...but only wear only soft shells in winter...

Your friends are eagerly waiting for your garage sale...which won't happen anyway..

Fending off your wife's complaints to pack light , you bring your GPS, compass ,poles and headlamps on all family vacations..especially Hawaii...and really use them in a lava chute....:D

During the week on icy days you wear stabilicers and bring a pole and wonder...if it would be just too much....to bring an axe instead..to the office.

Have a hard time deciding what to wear on a day hike...

You spend quality time on your roof ....alone .....with your rock shoes..:)

Last edited:

Is it bad that if we decide to have a child, I'm thinking of using a first name that starts with "A" so that the baby's initials would be "AT"? :D