You know might be addicted to hiking...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True Story: My buddy married his girlfriend on Loon Mtn last summer and they served GORP at the reception! Now THATS a little over the top!

thanks,
denton fabrics

...you hike with ice packs strapped to each grossly swollen knee and pop 75 mgs of Voltarin every four hours....

You know you're addicted to hiking when

undefined
-you keep Nalgene bottles of water in the fridge, ready for hiking - just in case.

-when you run out of a food item in the house, you say "Let me check my camping stuff"

-whenever your wife wants to plan something she starts by asking "Are you going hiking or camping on __________"

-your dogs go crazy when you pull out a pack and start loading up.

-your wife paints the room crabapple green and you love it (because it is the same as topographic green). And then your niece asks if you are going to draw contour lines on the wall.

-you have many, many pre-printed itineraries/instructions for hikes and backpacks with ranger phone numbers to leave at home for your wife.

YOU KNOW YOU ARE AN OLD ADDICTED HIKER WHEN:

-you still have wool knickers, Ragg wool knee sox and a 60/40 LL Bean parka
-you are tempted to use the wood handled ice axe for winter hikes
-your $10 Svea from '71 and Sears backpack (Hillary model '68) are treasured artifacts, along with the 8 or 9 nylon swatches from each of your tents.
-still amazed how this Gortex stuff works.

You know you're addicted to hiking when...

You have an office in a city with no windows. You purposely request this office for that very reason, then hang up a bunch of blown up pictures from your various hikes in the WMNF. During lunch you sit there and eat while imagining that those pictures are actually the windows in your office. :)

You know you might be addicted to hiking when...

..., because you are reading the responses to this thread, you burn six slices ( Read: the remainder) of your bread, in three separate attempts to make toast; and your choking cat looks at you as if to say, "whats with all the smoke, dude".

Mike

Last edited:
Oooops, I just revived an old thread, sorry about that :D ....

A fellow VFTTer and I were reminiscing about this thread over the weekend, and I said how I felt that this thread had to be one of the funniest and most enjoyable of all the VFTT threads over the years.

I just thought I'd share it again for all those members who have joined the site in the last couple of years.

- Greg

roadtripper said:
Oooops, I just revived an old thread, sorry about that :D ....

A fellow VFTTer and I were reminiscing about this thread over the weekend, and I said how I felt that this thread had to be one of the funniest and most enjoyable of all the VFTT threads over the years.

I just thought I'd share it again for all those members who have joined the site in the last couple of years.

- Greg
Greg - you might be addicted to hiking when you revive a good, old thread on VFTT! :D

It's funny you revived this thread. I was just thinking about my post to this thead this weekend as I was buying bread at Bread Alone in the Catskills. I almost always buy bread there when I hike in the Catskills. It used to be that my bread was almost always from Bread Alone and it was fresh! I was glad to get out "bread shopping" this weekend.

I used to think talking to my pack was a sign of pathology. Then when my pack started answering back I knew I was on a slippery slope. Now we get into bitter arguments about route finding. Next time I'll show it who's boss. I'm going to leave it in the car. HA! Take that Algernon, you POS!

(I hope he's reading this, that sicko)

Halite said:
I almost always buy bread there when I hike in the Catskills. It used to be that my bread was almost always from Bread Alone

You are not the only one!!!!

When you spend an afternoon arranging and re-arranging your hiking closet aka "coat closet".

For sure this is the funniest thread I've read on VFFT, a very clever group of folk : )
thanks for the smiles :)
kmac

(this little anecdote can apply to any old/broken/painful piece of gear, by the way) :)

...When you buy new hiking boots because your old ones were really hurting your feet, but you can't bear to actually get rid of the old ones. You think about all those memories with the painful boots, some incredible hikes, great places, and suddenly, you wonder if they were really as painful as you thought they were?? Probably not. (Yeah, they really were!!) Then one day your husband finds the old boots and says "didn't you get new ones and weren't these the ones that really hurt you?" and you say "oh, they didn't hurt THAT much, I'm keeping them as backups." You start defending the painful boots to him, then to yourself, until one day you've convinced yourself that they really weren't so painful after all so you take them out on a hike - yep, painful, and you vow to get rid of them as soon as you get home. So you get home, think about getting rid of them, and...don't - because you might need backup boots someday. (Cycle has been known to repeat after enough time goes by.)

:) - katie

I missed out on the first round of 'you know you're a hiker when...' a couple years ago and thought of a few while reading the list.

...you know the location and opening time of every Dunkin Donuts between your house and the mountains.

...you own every book in the Mountain Wanderer bookshop and can immediately identify a new edition of anything in the store.

...you meet other hikers for the first time and can reminisce about places you did not visit together.

...you would rather do an 8 mile hike down a muddy trail in the rain than sit in a 1 hour meeting at work.

How about this one....

You've been wearing 4 pound ankle weights on each leg for over 3 weeks now because it's the approximate weight you'll be picking up and putting down when you have winter boots and crampons or snowshoes on! :D