You know might be addicted to hiking...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TMax said:
You take a "mental health" day off from work to hike Panther, Couchie, Santanoni... after several days of rain:D

(thought of this one yesterday as I was tromping through the swamps! Maybe I needed to justify the need for a mental health day;) )

We have a winner!

:D

(I can relate!)

Your boss says, "you're fired!" and you immediately start happily planning lots of great hiking trips.

Neil said:
Your boss says, "you're fired!" and you immediately start happily planning lots of great hiking trips.

Is it bad to hope daily for this one?? I am sure it speaks volumes about my mental health....each day I hope to hear the news when I come into work that we have been outsourced just so that I can do more hiking!!! I guess I just need a job that I like....

adkpooh said:
Is it bad to hope daily for this one??
No, but what would be bad is your wife (or husband) says they're leaving you and you rub your hands together in glee thinking that NOW, finally, you'll be able to get your 4 season 115.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane - I thoroughly enjoyed rereading all of the responses. The best was Dr. Wu's response in 2007 to his post in 2005 - I had to stop myself from laughing out loud. I wonder what he'd have to say now.

An addition to my reply 7 years ago:

When all of your trips (hiking, kayaking, scuba diving, etc) are planned with the hiking friends that you've met through VFTT.

In planning where to go on our honeymoon, my wife looked up "hiking in the caribbean" because she knew I would get bored after the first day on the beach.

As a side note... Dominica is an awesome island for that and even has a 4K. :)

If you have more than 10 different hiking dedicated websites bookmarked on your browser.

If you have more than 20 guidebooks on your bookshelf.

You have read almost everything from the Mountain Wanderer about the Whites, and bought the out of print Forest and Crag online;
Excited when there is a new piece of gear you discovered you need;
Sad because there is nothing left to buy at Lahouts;
Got caught thinking about Caps Ridge while performing an intimate act; and
Thinking it was a justifiable excuse for being distracted while performing said act.

Tuck

When your entire bookcase is dedicated to hiking guide books, your always late for work because you just want to check out one more trail on a map, read one more post on a forum, etc. and when you own more hiking boots and clothes than work shoes or clothes and you have to dig to the bottom of the bureau to find one of 2 work pants.

-if you missed this thread the first time because you were thru-hiking the AT
-if you think of time wasted at work meetings in miles, that meeting being 2 miles long (or about an hour of backpacking)
-you can mentally sketch your next 3 day to 3 week trip without a guidebook
-you have more backpacking/dehydrating cookbooks than regular food cookbooks or use them more often
-you have enough gear to outfit yourself and up to two additional non-hiking friends whose arms you twist to go with you
-your husband warns people not to talk to you about hiking or they will find themsleves conned into going with you

You post to this thread without even noticing its poorly written title.