VT 4ks options...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
I'm headed to Vermont in the near future and am thinking about bagging Killington, then heading north and bagging the last four as a backpack along the Long Trail as one plan... or, possibly doing them all as a backpack as another. The hope is we'll be ending on Mansfield -- then figuring out how to get back (since we want to take one vehicle). We like to bike, but big miles with big packs might be the antifun.

I decided to come here and pick the VFTT collective brain, so to speak. Thoughts about my plans, advice, the beta? Anything useful, really, is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sounds like a fun plan!

The easiest option would be to hike Killington, drive to the Lincoln Gap, hike north on the LT over Mt Ab, Mt Ellen, Camels Hump, and Mansfield (and all the other <4,000 foot peaks in-between) to Route 108. From 108 just hitch a ride down to Stowe, which should be insanely easy if you look like a hiker (I find that having visible trekking poles is the magic ticket). From Stowe you could (a) hitch a couple rides down 100 back to the Lincoln Gap; (b) use one of several taxi/van services in Stowe, or (c) leave your bikes locked up somewhere in Stowe and bike the 35 miles straight down Route 100 South.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

The Long Trail End to Ender's Guide has a list of people in the state that offer rides to hikers. It's a little book available through the Green Mountain Club, published annually. I do not have the latest version, but my version might have what you need. It's about 57 miles to backpack from Lincoln Gap to VT 108. Beautiful areas of you have the time. PM me if you are interested in more info.

Did them all. We ended up starting from Lincoln Gap, late after the drive, and camped at the Battell Shelter, we then hiked to the Theron Dean Shelter for another night, next day we descended, hitchhiked back to LG (super fast and easy), then drove to Camel's Hump to hike it. We descended that and went to an Inn for the night. Next day we did Mansfield then drove south to Gifford State Park for the night. We did Killington the next day along with Pico. I wish we had saved Mansfield for last, and had done the four northern-most ones as a single traverse (not enough time). I'll go back. They were great. Love the LT.