crampon bag?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proszach

Reaction score
How important is it for me to get a crampon bag for my crampons? Does anyone use a more original approach to carrying/storing your crampons??

Most of the time I just wrap them in their straps, points facing points and throw them on top of my pack under the lid. Generally works well for me.

Sometimes, bundled the same way I strap them to the lower outside of my pack, where a sleeping pad would be traditionally strapped. On occasion I've used an old EMS pack side pouch and stash them in there and stow as above.

One can also get rubber point protectors--lighter than a crampon bag. In any case, unprotected crampon points are a hazard.

I tend to use the protectors for longish term storage in/on my pack and use the points-to-points approach for short sections where one may be popping the crampons on and off. The points-to-points approach may not do a good job of shielding the front points.

Doug

I have a separate crampon bag attached to the side of my pack. I like it because I can easily get to my crampons without digging into my pack and, if I put them away full of snow or mud, it doesn't get all over my pack.

Last edited:
I use the rubber point protectors that Doug mentioned, then just throw them in a light stuffsack.

-dave-

I wrap them in a crappy (thick) cotton shirt and then strap it to the outside of my pack. Never had any problems with that.

-Wu

Bungies

I use two small bungies. One to wrap them points to points, and another to affix that to my pack. I like to srap them to the pack down low, front points down, so I can still get in to the pack without removing and to to avoid them snagging on any brush you may have to duck under.

"Less is more" when it comes to gear.

Ive used both guards and a bag, but have stayed with the bag strapped to my pack for about 12 yrs now and like it. If you use the rubber guards, make sure if you put them on in the field and your points have moisture on them, you leave them off for dying before storage.

sierra said:
If you use the rubber guards, make sure if you put them on in the field and your points have moisture on them, you leave them off for dying before storage.

Also don't store long-term with the rubber guards on. Rubber under tension can de-vulcanize (become gummy and stick to the metal).

Doug

I'm using the same as Mark, unsure I would if I had to buy at full price when I purchased. I do like having them outside & easy to get to as I've waited too long once or twice in putting them on which left me with no good place to sit & dig into my pack to put them on or a place to sit for that matter.

I actually wrap them in an old mountain bike tube making sure to catch the points and just toss it in my pack.

I used a carabiner and strapped mine to the daisy chain on the back of my pack. Be careful though. Don't use a cheap marketing gift carabiner, get a good light one that has a locking thread. I had carabiner failure and lost one of the crampons on the trail. :(

I also use a bag specifically made for carrying crampons. No chance of tearing or losing anything. Mine is an OR bag (black) and it's a good place to store your crampon tools as well.

JohnL

Desalad- check the NY trail conditions for what may be your crampon...

The inner tube is a great idea, I have the little rubber protectors but I don't use them much, an inner tube should not only protect the points but will make good fire starter in a pinch.

EMS Side Bag

EMS sells a pack side bag. It's perfect for crampons. I use them on one of my packs. It's only 3600cu so the side bags help out storing the little nuggets of stuff I have no room for in the pack, including crampons.

I use an old "fanny pack" as a crampon bag. I either loop the waist belt around the top of my pack using the waist belt or I cynch it to the bottom of the pack with the lower lashing straps (I buckle the waist belt around the lashing streps just in case the fanny pack slips loose. I've also lashed it to the side of my pack...once again buckling the waist loop in case the bag slips down through the side lashing straps.

I own rubber crampon guards but never use them. I prefer my own device...I purchased flexible PVC tubing and cut it into 1.75 inch lengths. The diameter should be such that the sections can be pushed snuggly on to the points. To keep them together I threaded them on to a thin shoe lace (a hole was placed through the end of each 1.75 inch pvc segment0 and the end of the laces are tied forming a loop. You should have two loops each with 10 pvc covers. This device is far lighter than the rubber guards, far cheaper, alows the points to dry and works really well (they stay on well and are removed easily) and when not in use take up less space than the rubber crampon guards. Bought the PVC tubbing at Home Depot for about a buck.

Both of these methods have worked well for me...you may want to give them a try.