Flume, Liberty, Lincoln, Lafayette with Lincoln Slide - 8/16/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pac-man

Reaction score
Trails: Lincoln Woods, Osseo Trail, Franconia Ridge, Lincoln Slide, Lincoln Brook, Black Pond bushwhack, Lincoln Woods

Trail Conditions: Lincoln Woods and Osseo Trail were in great shape, with only 1 or 2 boggy sections once you get near the Flume cone. Franconia Ridge in great shape like usual. Had slight difficulty finding an easy path to the top of Lincoln Slide. Slide was loose at the beginning, but once it starts to flatten out, the boulders become bigger and it becomes a feeder stream for Lincoln Brook. Easy to follow down to Lincoln Brook, but that doesn't mean I went without a handful of scratches and cuts. Lincoln Brook is a muddy mess, per usual. BP bushwhack was easy to follow at times, and ankle-sucking muddy at others.

Equipment: GPS was helpful on BP bushwhack.

Comments: Decided to do something different today. First time on Osseo - what a great trail, super mellow with nice views into the Pemi. Didn't see a sole until halfway to Liberty. It was a nice calm morning of hiking until I broke out near Little Haystack - holy crap the crowds. Must have been 50 people on Haystack and I could see mass crowds along the ridge all the way to Lincoln. I couldn't wait to get off the ridge. Once I made good time up to Lafayette, I backtracked to Truman and found the path of 'least resistance' to the top of Lincoln Slide. The slide was a lot of fun going down, although most rocks are unstable. It really is a crazy slide. Once you get down far enough, the water really was raging (which may have been higher than normal due to the past rain). Once it becomes a stream, luckily my trail runners don't stay wet for long, because I ended up wading down the stream at points when the brush looked too thick on the sides. After a slog through the brook, I finally saw Lincoln Brook! Good news because I was certainly sick of bushwhacking at that point. I found the trail and headed towards Owl's Head. The plan from the beginning was to go to OH as well, but between the time, the bushwhacking draining me, and smashing my knee on a rock on the LB trail, I passed on going to OH. (good thing, because I missed the cairn for the slide anyway!) I took BP bushwhack out to save some time, but it was really soggy and I went up to my ankles a few times in mud. Finally I made it back to my car with very little energy left. Fun day to try something new!