Heading for the Spanish Pyrenees again tomorrow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillwalker

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
After walking the Camino de Santiago Compostela last September and being totally enchanted by the 500 mile walk, I am heading back to Spain tomorrow morning.

This year I have budgeted 45 days to stroll across the Spanish countryside. This time on three different routes. Camino Aragon over the Pyrenees from Pau France to Pamplona, 650 km. The Camino del Salvador from Leon to Oviedo, 120 km. The Camino Primitive from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela, 308 km. Then from Santiago to the Atlantic Ocean in Finisterre, 115 km.

My total distance will be around 1200 kilometers compared to last year's 780 km in 30 days.

My pack weight this morning is 24 pounds without water. I carry only snacks, no food necessary. No tent, only a sleeping bag, pad, and tarp just in case I cannot find lodging.

As I usually do not go online during my trips, I wish everybody a great "shoulder season" and look forward to reading hiking reports when I get back in October.

Tom Wheeler (AKA Tavish Colquhoun)

Tom

You do some very interesting trips.

Looking forward to the report on this one.

Happy Walking!

Jim

Right now I am sitting in an Albergue (community hostel) in the city of Jaca. Today I hiked down from the highest pass in the Pyrenees in searing heat, but blue skies. They are having some sort of festival here in the city. Clowns, jugglers, exotic vendors with a medieval theme. Pretty fun!

I have only spent four days so far doing serious hiking and as one expects from a 74 year old carrying a 30 pound pack, I am seriously tired.

I have my GoPro camera mounted on my hiking pole so I am shooting hours of HD Video and many stills.

Be back in October. I wish everyone happy hiking from Spain.