Cannon, Northeast Cannonball, N. Kinsman, and S. Kinsman, 8/24/2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
August 24, 2014: Cannon, N.E. Cannonball, North Kinsman, South Kinsman Loop

Trails: Lonesome Lake Trail, Hi Cannon Trail, Kinsman Ridge Trail, Fishin’ Jimmy Trail

Summits: Cannon, Northeast Cannonball (NEHH), North Kinsman, South Kinsman

Hikers: Rebecca Schubert and me

We were looking for an early start and early finish for day #2. A few minutes later than planned we were leaving the trailhead lot at Lafayette Place Campground in Franconia Notch. The day’s plan included climbing to Cannon via Hi Cannon Trail and then following Kinsman Ridge Trail south to S. Kinsman. Then it was back to Kinsmen Junction and out via Fishin’ Jimmy Trail and Lonesome Lake Trail.

The first surprise we came to along the route was no trail signs at the Hi-Cannon trail junction. We made the turn and started the climb to the summit. By this point it was obvious to me the day was going to be a tough one because of the day before.

There are a number of blow downs along the way and some areas of trail damage possibly the result of erosion. It’s possible the trail is closed, which would explain the lacking signs, but we were able to make our way past the obstacles with no real problem. We hit the summit and climbed to the tower observation deck. What outstanding views! There was some distant haze but overall it was pretty hard to find anything wrong with the conditions we were enjoying.

After a few minutes we were leaving on Kinsman Ridge Trail. The next target along the way was Northeast Cannonball (NEHH peak). Leaving Cannon includes a section of very steep and rough terrain. We slowly made our way through this section and soon passed through Coppermine Col on our way to Northeast Cannonball. From the col to the summit is a fairly constant climb. Rebecca was out in front and was sitting at the summit ledge waiting for me when I arrived. We kept hiking south.

The day was warm and humid. Both of us were low on hydration due to the previous day. I attempted to really load up before the hike but it wasn’t enough. I think each of us realized we needed to pace ourselves regarding water consumption. At this point, the next good spot for water was Lonesome Lake Hut on our exit hike.

From Cannon to Kinsman Junction is only ~3.3 miles, but it’s a rough 3.3 miles with many puds along the way. Roughly half way to Kinsman Junction we started to meet northbound hikers heading to Cannon. Eventually we reached Kinsman Junction and made a quick fueling stop. From here to the end, things will happen quickly. First we needed to climb N. Kinsman. It wasn’t normally a tough climb but every climb was difficult at this point. The consequences of the previous day were coming through. I was burned out and relying on mental hiking. Stubbornness and determination were all I had left; but I’ve been here before. It isn’t pretty but I was sure we would finish in reasonably good shape.

We hit North Kinsman and didn’t bother with any pictures. We needed to get to South Kinsman and then we could worry about North Kinsman pictures on our exit hike. We took off for South Kinsman. The walk between these peaks looks a lot worse than it is, at least I have myself convinced of this. We completed the hike from one to the other in just over thirty minutes. All things considered, not bad. I needed to stop for new hearing aid batteries and a couple other “maintenance” issues. With all that out of the way, and the summit pictures of course, we made the u-turn and headed north.

I think the return trip was about the same as going to South Kinsman. We stopped for the North Kinsman summit pictures and started down. Except for a few puds on Fishin’ Jimmy, we had a mostly downhill cruise to the trailhead.

We saw this coming from a long distance off. At Kinsman Junction Rebecca ran out of water. The next good location for water was Lonesome Lake Hut. Roughly half-way to the hut I ran out. Suddenly the hike got a lot tougher, at least until we could reload at the hut. Rebecca hiked ahead and was sitting outside enjoying some cold water when I arrived. I pulled my bladder from my pack and went in to fill it. With a fresh supply of cold water we were back in the game.

In a few minutes we were again on our exit hike and headed to the trailhead lot at Lafayette Place. Rebecca arrived ahead of me and had started getting ready to pack and head for home. I caught up, moved a few things around, said our goodbyes, and we were on our way.

What a terrific weekend! Thank you, Rebecca, for an outstanding couple days in the mountains. Already I’m looking forward to our next time out.

Pictures will follow.

:)