2/26 Presidential Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albee

Reaction score
I've been looking for the perfect weekend to do a one-day Presi traverse. Consulting the recent weather reports, I got my wish on Saturday, February 26th.

Expected weather was for lows of -5 and highs up to 14 degrees. Winds were supposed to be variable from 10-15 MPH. This was a critical factor because I didn't want to do any extended hiking on the ridge solo with an out-of-control wind chill factor. The day was supposed to be partly to mostly cloudy but I was met with pure blue skies until some scattered clouds snuck in around 3:00 in the afternoon.

I packed my pack the night before and settled in knowing I would have to get up early. I woke at 4:30 and had the car warming up by 4:50. Leaving Dover, NH (on the seacoast) at a little before 5 AM, I made it to the Appalachia parking area a little past Gorham at 7:05. Only a Dunkin Donuts stop for a bagel and Chai slowed me down.

I fitted up and left the parking area at 7:15, a little ahead of a large group of French-Canadians and proceeded up the Valley Way trail. Dave Metsky and ChrisB suggested this trail over my original planned starting place, the DW Scout trail. This decision proved immensely successful as Valley Way is a beautiful, gradually sloping trail that is nicely sheltered from the elements.

I passed my first checkpoint at 2.5 miles in. It had only taken me one hour and 3 minutes. I was surprised, but I figured I was making up for the late start time. I was conscious of checking my heart rate monitor frequently and making sure I didn't go over 160 beats per minute. I'm a distance runner and we are kinda geeky about that kind of stuff!

Madison Hut suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and I left my pack for the scramble up the jagged rocks to the peak. I made sure to stand on the highest rock and survey the spectacular panorama. My watch read 9:16. Some drifting snow had filled in parts of the trail, but Valley Way was broken out well for the most part and it seems like nothing over treeline in the Whites is ever truly broken out in the winter. Small drifts were among the rocks on Madison and Adams, while much larger ones impeded me at Jefferson. More on that later.

I made my way along the North side of John Quincy Adams and had a rough time navigating some icy sections and indiscernable cairns going up Adams proper. I kind of made my own trail at one point and arrived at the top at 11 minutes past 10. From there, I hopped down over drifts and rocks and marveled at the line of cairns on the Gulfside trail. They appeared like sentinels in the snow, watching over me and ensuring my safe passage. And then the wolf appeared and ran by my side...

(Alright, I made that last part up.) :)

I did my version of the snowshoe shuffle across the unbroken snowfield heading toward Jefferson. I made it to Edmands Col and felt a trickle of liquid running down my leg. It seems that my Nalgene bottle, which I keep inside my jacket so it won't freeze, had wriggled its way open and dripped enough to make it look like I wet myself. This actually evaporated before it froze, since I only had one layer of spandex on my legs in the sunny weather, and I was producing lots of body heat. After the col, I encountered the hairy-est section of my trip. I had to try and follow someone's filled-in trail over a snowfield that was almost a 45 degree angle. Stepping carefully with my snowshoes and plunging my 65 cm ice axe shaft all the way in up to my knuckles, I got across this area slowly and steadily. Beware of this section if you are planning a similar trip! Then, I got traction on some solid snow and headed straight up to a few cairns perched above.

After a while, I reached the summit of Jefferson at 11:33. I was still ahead of my schedule, even with leaving 45 minutes late and taking my time to break trail on the dangerous section. I hustled down along some fresh tele-ski tracks off the side of Jefferson, and followed them over to the base of Washington. These tracks were really helpful as they had been the only ones in the area that morning and it made it easy to see where to go. I even got to see evidence of some fancy turns on the harder-packed sections. I eventually caught up to the skiiers as they walked and skiied up the Cog Railway tracks.

After a 5 minute accidental detour along the unbroken Westside trail, I cut back over to the Cog, crossed it, and followed the cairns up to the weather station and observatory. At this point, the wind and the fact that I had only had a couple snacks and gulps of water contributed to a minor feeling of hypothermia. I tagged the USGS survey disk at the Washington summit at exactly 1:00 PM and hustled over to a sheltered area near the boarded-up snack bar. I added a layer of clothes and changed my snow-encrusted spandex for some running pants, had a drink and a snack, and headed off to find the Crawford Path. After aimlessly following some people to the Tuckerman's trailhead (it seems like there were many people coming up from Tuck's today) I righted my course and found the proper direction. I bounded and glissaded my way off of Washington and followed the cairns over to Mount Monroe.

At this point, I was feeling strong, and I decided to ratchet up my pace a bit due to an increasing wind - a *mighty* wind, if you will, as well as now the trail follows the windward side of the ridge. I kept checking my lips and nose for signs of frostbite, which thankfully never occurred. I powered up Monroe and hit the top at 1:59, and kept going down the South side, where some fool that had been bare-booting it left gaping postholes for me to trip in.

The Crawford Path was well broken-out and I had little trouble along the rest of the journey. The views of the Twins, the Bonds, and the faraway Franconia range were marvelous. I hustled over Eisenhower with the wind whipping across it at 3:01. I was literally pushed by the wind back to the Crawford Path and made my way over to Mount Pierce. It was a nice respite to be back in the trees, and I saw a bunch of people camping in the area, as well as some heading over to camp at Mizpah Hut.

I found the summit of Pierce a little ways along the Webster Cliff trail at 3:39, and doubled back to take the Crawford Path back down to the Notch. At this point, I was still feeling strong, and I must admit that I let my momentum carry me and snowshoe jogged on and off for most of the way down the gently sloped path. I passed two gentlemen at the Mizpah cutoff and one of them remarked "Good morning!", which was kind of funny at about an hour before sunset.

Without further ado, I arrived at the snowmobile trail across the street from the Highland Center at 4:30 on the nose. The entire trip had taken me 9:15 for approximately 20.7 miles! I was happy with what I had accomplished.

Since I hadn't arranged for transportation back to Appalachia, I did what comes naturally and tried to thumb a ride. No sooned had I unstrapped my snowshoes did a friendly ice climber named Kelly from Lyndon State in VT pick me up and drive a bit out of his way to drop me off at Route 2 in Lancaster. From there, I was rebuffed by 10 of 15 cars, but about 8 minutes later, a pickup truck and a guy named Steve on his way to a blind date in Gorham gave me a lift all the way to my car. Steve kept me amused with stories of his old job (as a downsizing "consultant") and his bisexual ex-girlfriend. An entertaining end to an awesome day in the mountains! :D

...Albee

after reading some of these posts I was thinking of changing my name to 'hikerslow'. we must have some of the best athletes in new england in our group here. what a day! congrats

Wow, sounds like a great trip! I've done a presi traverse in the winter as an overnighter, and as a day hike in the spring and fall, but never as a winter day hike. Will have to add that one to my hiking "to do" list.

I saw you go by

Hi Albee, You passed me on the Valley way trail abou 2/3's of the way up. I was the guy in the camo goretex jacket. You asked my plans and gave me some advice on climbing either Adams or Madison. I ended up summiting Madison and followed your tracks. I figured you must have dropped down the other side of Madison or I would have seen you heading up Adam's at Madison Hut. You were really moving because I never did see you again. Congrats on your accomplishment! Mike

Aw-some!

Congratulations on a great "Adventure" :)

Thanks for going into such detail to! For those that have been there before...we can visualize the Traverse, as if we were there with you(only way I could keep up :)). For those that haven't...imagination creates quite a picture!

Stories on your trip back to your car were, most likely, quite "interesting" :)

Thanks for sharing!!!

nice report

Congrats!

Steve scares me....

I originally asked about a ride back because I often hike solo and a traverse would involve a ride back to the trailhead. On my solo attempts in the past I have turned back because of the risk of getting done late and having no ride back.

Another approach to a multi day traverse is to catch a ride to the starting point and have the car waiting at the end.

I did accept a ride once from Gorham to the appal. parking lot...Gorham police car picked me up a 4 in the morning and drove me there. He clocked someone a 60mph coming in the opposite direction and said he would have pulled him over if I wasnt in the car.....I saved that guys behind and he will never know it.

Awesome trip and report albee.

Last edited:
thanks guys

Thanks for all the kind words and congratulations, everyone.

Looking back, the only things I would have done differently would have been to drink more water, wear a balaclava or neoprene facemask, and actually bring my camera and take pictures. I was feeling the effects of dehydration for the rest of the day since I only had about 40 oz of water over the course of 20 miles. This would have been different had the huts been open.

Mike - I'm glad you made it up there on such a nice day. It was nice to have company, even if only for a few minutes. I must have just missed you at the hut since it took me a little over half an hour to scramble up to the peak and back.

Steve was a nice guy. He used to be one of the Bob's from Office Space until he found out that he couldn't live with himself axing people's jobs like that. He's currently in grad school to become an elmementary school teacher. Isn't that refreshing? He told me nice stories about his 12 year old daughter and what its like to live in the north country - snowmobiling, ice fishing, ATVs... cool stuff. Had he been driving me all the way to Gorham, I'm sure I would have heard some really good menage-a-trois stories about his ex-girlfriend, but alas, we arrived at Appalachia before I could give him my Dr. Drew and Adam Carolla impersonation.

Hikerfast - I'm sure you'd destroy me if we ever took a trip together. I'm not that fast, I'm just relentless when left to my own devices. Plus, anyone can jog down the Crawford Path in 51 minutes. Sadly, I think I may be intimidating many potential hiking partners with stories like this. I usually like to take my time and enjoy the scenery; I only go fast when I have to cover 21 miles in 10.5 hours.

...Albee

Albee, what's your current 10k time? I grew up on the Northern Peaks(Madison, Adams, and Jefferson) The area you refer to on Jefferson is indeed most impressive. I remember coming back from Washinton a few winters ago. I had already peaked Jefferson so I took the Gulfside around the south side. There you would not believe that pitch. It's like a mile long, Albee, and the traverse cuts right through the middle of it. When I got down the mountain and was reflecting on the hike as I am want to do, I thought, "Whoa, that was God I saw on that slope(somehow), the wind whipping wisps of snow over the summit way above me, purple evening sky above the summit, taking a serious gulp of air before looking down the slope and the potential slide to the distant treeline. That traverse is like a 1/4mile long there anyway I think. I think that one may take the cake as far as taking my breath away.
My personal best time over the Pres's was an out and back a long time ago, up through King's Ravine( the Great Gully trail that forms into a 7 of melting snow in the late Spring and early summer. I think it's why some way-out-there religious group thinks Adams is one of the seven special places on the planet, or some such thing). Anyway I peaked Adams, Jefferson, and Washington, then came back on the Gulfside, down Randolph path and the Amphibrach to Boothman's field in 6hrs. It was summer. I'm not all that fast in winter. I don't like to go super light. It kind of scares me. Rumor has it though that I still have the record coming down from Crag Camp to the powerline near Route 2, 18minutes and change(3.25mi.). That was like 1972.
So no I don't think I can keep up with you but Cabot is doable on the 19th. That will be my last hike. I'll be shifting into marathon training. You could be my rabbit for my last hill/strength workout. I suspect I'll dog way behind you. 10hrs from Appalachia to Crawford is nasty anytime of year.